Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing sound in 14.04

Beans

Re: Fixing sound in 14.04

I am currently downloading the PPC Lubuntu 13.10 Desktop ISO. I will try it on my B&W, but if I do not get stopped at the fixing recursive fault reboot is needed error I don't have high hopes that r128 is going to configure correctly for a live session.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sound is not working for me on my iBook G3/800 Lubuntu 14.04

Here is why..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1296373
    Last edited by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS; April 28th, 2014 at 03:40 AM. Reason: added link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh, one more thing alsamixer does NOT work in 14.04 for me

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS View Post
    Oh, one more thing alsamixer does NOT work in 14.04 for me
    Expected.

I wanted to submit a kernel patch to get this fixed on most machines, but I had virtually no interest at the time. I submitted a patch for my machine, but received no feedback from the powerpc developers list and so don't think it got included in the kerenel. Maybe I should of just sent it to the alsa developers list instead, but I've lost interest at the mo (I'm going to stick with 12.04).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are you using Lubuntu? Or a mini iso install? I had Debian on it earlier, but wanted to try out Lubuntu on it (I really like Lubuntu). But, for a minimal environment I suggest JWM (don't forget to install menu), and you can use something like pcmanfm for the desktop and filemanager, or if you are really brave you can use ROX...
    unless of course you have a machine powerful enough for something like Xubuntu...

Can you tell me the main gist of what I should look for. I gather it is a kernel module that is not loading. So, do I simply run a sudo modprobe model_name? Can you give me a hint as to where to start?

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I'm not interested in a minimal install, I use compiz+mate with all its bells and whistles. I do have the latest pcmanfm installed too, since caja can be slow (even on my faster intel machine).

It is not the sound that is putting me off using 14.04, it is the slowness of xorg. Window dragging seems to be on a go slow. Scrolling in firefox is sluggish etc. If I were to use 14.04 then I would use Xubuntu since at least radeon KMS seems to vaguely work in that when you turn the compositor on.

Re sound: I added another comment to the bug report that I hope gives somebody enough bread grumbs to follow.

Beans

No sound with my machine either.

PowerBook G4 12"
    PowerBook6,4

Code:
    no layout-idchild is ...
    /proc/device-tree/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/i2s@10000/i2s-a@10000/sound
    device-id is ...
    (

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    It is not the sound that is putting me off using 14.04, it is the slowness of xorg. Window dragging seems to be on a go slow. Scrolling in firefox is sluggish etc. If I were to use 14.04 then I would use Xubuntu since at least radeon KMS seems to vaguely work in that when you turn the compositor on.
    Re sound: I added another comment to the bug report that I hope gives somebody enough bread grumbs to follow.
    @rsavage:

Finally got around to booting the liveDVD of 14.04 in my G4 iBook again . . . wasn't following the thread when you first posted, but if you need another bash sample from my 12.04 savage edition system . . . let me know. Actually I haven't had sound in 12.04 in the iBook, although I do in the G4 iMac . . . so maybe better to use the iMac. ***Whenever*** you feel like playing with it again . . . .

But, I'm with you on the "window dragging seems to go slow" comment . . . even for me, it's obviously slow in Lubun 14.04 . . . but scrolling in FF seems OK[edit: nah, you are right, scroll is slo]. I have a nice display using the "radeonfb" gambit, was thinking I might go for it, but, so far it's not a jump up, it seems like a "lateral" move . . . not enough time to fiddle with it.

Also got the "Alsa error: snd_mixer_attach failed. No such file or directory" And in FF tried to test Pandora and got a message "In order to use Pandora please upgrade to a more recent browser or install a newer version of Flash (v.10 or >)" . . . .

Seems like even the basics are not quite ready for the non-techie user . . . .

e.e.p.
    Last edited by este.el.paz; May 3rd, 2014 at 02:48 AM. Reason: adjust comment on scroll

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi,
    Adobe is in charge of Flash, and do not make a version for PowerPC Linux. You can install one of the alternative flash viewers like Gnash. In fact adobe does not make flash for Linux any longer.
    Since there is no powerpc build of Chrome(ium) with the Pepperflash plugin you must stick to HTML5 sites, or use something else like gnash or lightspark

Beans

There are a number of desktop and command line tools for Pandora. They use less resources than the Flash site and work cross platform. I personally like pianobar.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast