Thread: Guide for Sun Java

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Guide for Sun Java

Does anyone know of a good (simple) guide that can be used to install Oracle java? Iced tea isn't quite working for what I'm using it for so I need the normal thing. The guide on Oracle's site though isn't real clear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Guide for Sun Java

Maybe this wiki here helps?
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The easiest way to install oracle java and get the updates automatically is doing it through webup8 ppa.

Please see this link: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/12/oracl...m-support.html with full instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. That's an excellent tutorial. I installed Oracle Java yesterday and it didn't work and, judging from this tutorial I missed a few steps. What would be the command to remove yesterday's installation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

To be honest, you might just as well leave yesterday's alone and not risk problems. The webupd8 method will still install just fine and will set itself as the alternative used. I'm not sure (I'm on my cell phone) but webupd8 may use the same directory to install to anyway.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Any idea why the webupd8 instructions and the other wiki instructions are so vastly different? The wiki instructions are long and detailed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Because webupd8's PPA contains an installation package (somewhat like an Ubuntu repostory) that automates the process AND keeps you up to date when Oracle releases a new version.

webupd8 does not have the actual Oracle binaries (they can't, legally, because Oracle does not authorize that). The installer automatically downloads the binaries from Oracle so you don't have to and then takes care of putting things in the right places, activating the browser plugin and setting the alternative to use.

webupd8 is one of the few organizations with PPAs that I trust. I use PPAs very sparingly.

By the way, it's Oracle Java not Sun Java. Oracle bought Sun several years ago.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The problem I'm having is that when I try to reinstall it, it appears to think that it's already installed, plus I think it's loading the oracle repo instead of the weupd8 PPA.