Thread: Dell XPS 14 keyboard and keys not working consistent

Beans

Angry Dell XPS 14 keyboard and keys not working consistent

Hello ubuntu hackers!

I'm having a odd problem with my Dell XPS keyboard. Some of my keyboard keys stops working all of a sudden. And after hitting the keys for some time they will start working. Usually it is the keys q, w, e, r, y, u, i. The letter t always works. One time it was the a, s ,d ,f ,h, j, k, l, letters not working.

The things I've done is reinstalling my OS to windows 8, as it was delivered by the manufacturer and it didn't show any signs on trouble, the keys worked fine. This was tried last week. I have googled the problem but not finding any solved solutions. One could say its a hardware fault but still, it works fine in windows 8. I also tried a windows checklist, rebooting, pulling out plugins etc. and one time (1 time) the keyboard start working when I pulled out my headphones.

From that one can imagine the headphones screwing things up, but i haven't been able to get it to work twice. The headphones are Jay headphones made for android phones but I see it as unlikely that they have anything to do with it.

The problem often starts in boot ether at decrypt login or user login. Can sometimes start after working for some time, for example in terminal. Its not consistent.

From my Dell i got windows 8 reinstalled it with linux 12.4 an ran it for a while and upgraded with 13.10. I've been running 13.10 for some time and the problem started some weeks ago running on 13.10. I do not have dualboot though I now wish I would.

Can't seem to find any good hardware drivers on Dell XPS 14. It has the same trackpad as 13, 15 and 15z but don't know any about keyboard.
    Last edited by kiran7; March 3rd, 2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Re: Dell XPS 14 keyboard and keys not working consistent

Have same issue on HP 8540w. Using 13.10 for winter was OK with multimedia keys and battery status icon.
    Nearly 14.04 release multimeda keys stopped working as a battery status icon (and it's imposible to return it in googled methods).
    In Windows 8.1 all works pretty fine.
    Seems like trouble in kernel. Some people says that is's cause of nvidia driver, but it seems not.