Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Microsoft to give away Windows 8.1 for free?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Microsoft to give away Windows 8.1 for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Microsoft set up a web site so it's users can determine what version of Windows they are using - turns out the average Windows user has no idea: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...erating-system

I distinctly remember installing Xubuntu 12.04 on this box. Well, imagine my surprise when I went to the site and was told this:
    Attachment 250903
    I must have partied too much back in the day. It looks like they put the start menu back where it belongs except it's on the top instead of the bottom. And it doesn't say start it looks more a mouse head. Anyway it works pretty good except I can't seem to install any Windows software on it. Maybe I forgot to register it.
    I think you have a pre-release of Windows 12 SP 4 (rather well disguised, but that web page revealed it)

Edit: Or are you still running Xubuntu 8.10
    Last edited by sudodus; March 7th, 2014 at 04:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Even if they made Windows "Free", for my taste that would still be too expensive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is this the Netbook/XP strategy act II? License WinXP REALLY cheap to kill alternative OSs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by germanix View Post
    Even if they made Windows "Free", for my taste that would still be too expensive
    At least on resource consumption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Seems to me shortly after releasing Win 8.0. A person could get an upgrade for only $35.00. I do not think making it free will make a difference to a lot of people. I wonder how many of those casual users even know or care about the end of support. Most probably do not use the update feature. I know that I have almost completely migrated away from MS products and those programs that only run on it. The more I use Linux the more I like it
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans

It is not the same Win8. It is apparently a cheap version built on Bing. I guess kind of like the ChromeOS.http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/54...ing-experiment

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    It is not the same Win8. It is apparently a cheap version built on Bing. I guess kind of like the ChromeOS.http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/54...ing-experiment
    Trust me within 24hrs of release someone will post on how to strip out the bling component. Ok maybe not 24hrs but you know what I mean.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Trust me within 24hrs of release someone will post on how to strip out the bling component. Ok maybe not 24hrs but you know what I mean.
    Well there are cracked Win8 of all versions on torrent sites for a long time. If one is going to get a funny version anyway there is no need to get a bing build and then crack it. Just to be clear, this is not to suggest that people should download from torrent (and I am sure most people know it already), I am just answering your point. I think people should ditch Windows, the sooner the better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234