Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to give away Windows 8.1 for free?

Beans

Re: Microsoft to give away Windows 8.1 for free?

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Well, it's anyone's guess what the exact limitations will be. They will almost certainly not be the same as win7 starter, but count on there being some heavy limitations and some heavy-handed steering towards Microsoft's online services.
    Right now everything is speculation. If it fits the profile I will install it for windows gaming (if it's free).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Microsoft to give away Windows 8.1 for free! OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    ... (Snip) ...

I think we are seeing here a change of paradigm by Microsoft and it's new CEO Satya Nadella. Microsoft doesn't hide the fact that it want to be more like Google which is a succesful model of web-based cloud services and that's the direction in which the web and a lot of it's users seems to be going.

Perhaps, though they should probably remember that one doesn't become a leader by following.

At anyrate I'd probably not download it anyway, but I suppose if someone is incline or for some reason needs to use windows and they are unable to afford to upgrade to windows 8/8.1 I suppose having a limited version of 8.1 might be better then remaining on windows xp once its support is completely dropped.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    If it fits the profile I will install it for windows gaming (if it's free).
    Oh yes. same here. if nothing else at least some windows games will work on it
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

anti-trust?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Microsoft to give away Windows 8.1 for free! OMG

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    Perhaps, though they should probably remember that one doesn't become a leader by following.

At anyrate I'd probably not download it anyway, but I suppose if someone is incline or for some reason needs to use windows and they are unable to afford to upgrade to windows 8/8.1 I suppose having a limited version of 8.1 might be better then remaining on windows xp once its support is completely dropped.
    I agree, Microsoft has been behind the parade for some time now, trying to catching up it's big opponent: Google.

Mirosoft has been a leader of the desktops computing for years now but with the rise of portable devices and cloud computing I think the nomination of Satya Nadella is to put the corporation back in the forefront of innovations. We will see...

I believe it this kind fo operating system has it's advantage. For one it's a lot better to be able to pay less (probably round 250$) for a new laptop. It can make a good Linux machine as well.

Beans

Microsoft set up a web site so it's users can determine what version of Windows they are using - turns out the average Windows user has no idea: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...erating-system

I distinctly remember installing Xubuntu 12.04 on this box. Well, imagine my surprise when I went to the site and was told this:
    WindowsVersion.png
    I must have partied too much back in the day. It looks like they put the start menu back where it belongs except it's on the top instead of the bottom. And it doesn't say start it looks more a mouse head. Anyway it works pretty good except I can't seem to install any Windows software on it. Maybe I forgot to register it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

^^^Me too!

I guess it is free, and looks a lot like 'buntu.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I worked on a few Windows 8.* OS on other machines and I can wait for the next Windows OS before I add anything to this computer or any other that I own.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Same result for me, and I've got Xubuntu 14.04 on this netbook.

Interesting...
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Just checked on Ubuntu/FVWM/firefox, and on Mac OS X/safari, and I guess they both look a lot like Windows 8.1.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast