Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 12.04 -- no gui after update -- hangs during update

Beans

Re: ubuntu 12.04 -- no gui after update -- hangs during update

Bashing: brief update: Info from boot text commands: (new or different info in red)

~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga

40:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G71GL [Quadro FX 1500] [10de:029e] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:032c]
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Kernel modules: nvidia_173, nvidia_304, nvidia_304_updates, nouveau, nvidiafb

~$ sudo lshw -C display

description: VGA compatible controller
    product: G71GL [Quadro FX 1500]
    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:40:00.0
    version: a1
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0

Any suggestions on additional things I can try much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ss1133xx; Well,

According to Nvidia, that card takes The 304.xx driver. What driver are you attempting to install, and through what means ?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
    IF we are going to go the proprietary driver route.

Maybe we can do something through recovery mode -> enable networking, boot to the GUI and see what "Addition Drivers" has to offer ?

ain't nothing but a thing
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Bashing: Just saw your reply (didn't see page 2 of chain). I installed the 304 driver using the built-in search for drivers functionality.

If you can walk me thru the recovery mode steps, I'd appreciate it. ("recovery mode -> enable networking, boot to the GUI and see what "Addition Drivers" has to offer").

That sounds like what I did. I hope I can recover the install without starting from scratch. Thanks for help.

Beans
    Distro

ss1133xx; Hey ,

Loosing track of a thread happens, glad we can pick this one back up.

this:
    I installed the 304 driver using the built-in search for drivers functionality.
    Tends to make me hope all is good in your world now. That is not the case ?

What results now when you boot up ubuntu ?

sometimes I wonder
    other times I do not know

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

No, its still not booting. When I said that I installed the nvidia 304 driver, I did that 6 days ago, after running thru the steps you recommended:

I went thru each of your steps, and yes, it worked! Wow, I thought. The one remaining problem was that now only one (of my two) monitors were working. So I went back and downloaded the recommended Nvidia [304] driver (which I hoped would again recognize both screens). After installing that driver, it told me to reboot.

Upon rebooting, it hung again during boot. Back to square one.

So, I was able to boot after I ran thru the steps you gave me, but after I (re)installed the Nvidia 304 driver, the boot hangs again.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

ss1133xx; Humm,

'Bout at the end of my knowledge. I will ask the obvious though have you used the nvidia-settings utility to try to configure the monitors ?

Also of interest, is that 2nd monitor appearing in the control file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" any modifications added to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d" ?

maybe yes
    maybe not so yes

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thanks, will check Bashing.

Regarding your first question ("have you used the nvidia-settings utility to try to configure the monitors ?") No, I haven't -- maybe I was lucky, but the dual monitors had always worked seemlessly before this update, and I never had to do anything to get them to work.

Regarding running the "nvidia-settings utility," would I boot to recovery mode, and then try that utility?

Regarding the second question ("is that 2nd monitor appearing in the control file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" any modifications added to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d" ?"), is there a command I can run to get that info?

Beans
    Distro

ss1133xx; Hey,

Now I am going to show my ignorance. It has been a while since I messed with the Nvidia proprietary drivers. But, I expect the "nvidia-settings utility" to be in the sub menu under applications. I would suggest start the system up with but the one operating monitor connected, when the sytem is booted connect the 2nd monitor and see if "nvidia-settings utility" finds the 2nd monitor.

Too see what is in the control file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" fire up a text editor - the file is a text file.
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post the file's contents back here and maybe I can flounder my way through it, to our mutual comprehension. Hopefully others will chime in with their advise;

for "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d" as it is a directory, let's see if there is anything in it to even look at .
    Code:
    ls -la /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
    I really do anticipate this is but a
    matter of configuration

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Well, things have gotten worse. While I trying to get Ubuntu working as described in this chain, I also created a new logical partition and installed Linux Mint, so that I would have at least one working Linux install. LM worked initially, but now when I boot, instead of grub, I get "error: file not found" then "grub rescue>".

So I don't even boot to a place that let's me choose recovery mode.

Any ideas for me Bashing? Ubuntu worked pretty seemlessly for me for 6 months, and now nothing (not Ubuntu, not Linux Mint) is working.

Any ideas how I can get back to a GUI?

Beans
    Distro

ss1133xx; Welp.
    We can work on it.

What do you want as your Primary Operating System ? Only one boot loader (grub) can control the booting process. We have to (re-)install grub from that primary system.

Show us now what the hard drive set up is:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    And tell us what partitions belong to ubuntu and which is Mint. Are ubuntu and Mint the same kernel release series ? Think'n maybe we want the newer version -if it differs - as that primary boot. Later kernels have grub version 2.0 and will know how to deal with the earlier versions of grub.

Can you boot to any grub boot menu at this time ? This operation may be tedious, but should be doable. Booting into either of the operating systems will make things much easier than working from the liveEnvironment,

ain't nothing but a thing
    Last edited by Bashing-om; March 10th, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast