Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu on Pentium III processor and 384MB of RAM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lubuntu on Pentium III processor and 384MB of RAM

have a look at this on how to get minimal Ubutnu OS installed: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal
    should work ok on your maschine.

I have old Chrunchbang installed on 1.2Ghz with 224 mb ram available. newer one would probably work as well. haven't upgraded yet. might be worth a look. install is almost as simple as in ubuntu though you may need some more manual configuring after it's is installed.

to boot from USB one can use PLOP boot manager - it will boot from floppy and then you will see a menu offering you to boot from USB.

changing boot options permanently on existing installation is described here (move a bit down the page): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, I'm thankful for all the answers but please read this: I do not need suggestions on which Linux distro to install (at the moment). My computer refuses to boot from CD or USB no matter which tool I try.

I have another problem and goal: whenever I boot, it automatically boots Lubuntu (which is what I want) without a GUI but the text is all blurred and unreadable.

If I do, however, enter the grub menu holding SHIFT and tell it to boot Ubuntu (which is just the menuentry name for Lubuntu), it works fine, i.e. there's still no GUI but the OS is fully functioning and readable. It's weird because Ubuntu IS the first one on the list and thus manually selecting it should be just the same at don't giving it any input.

To achieve this I manually edited the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file adding "nomodeset" after "quiet splash" on the Ubuntu menuentry. Then I edited /etc/default/grub putting GRUB_DEFAULT=saved to force it to load Lubuntu everytime; I also added the voice GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true, then sudo update-grub, then did step 1 once again because the update overwrote grub.cfg (I didn't know that). This might have been overkill because GRUB_DEFAULT was already set at 0 and Lubuntu is the first menuentry in grub.cfg, so in theory this change was useless, but I wanted to be sure it's not trying to load anything else.

So if I turn on the computer it boots Lubuntu but it's unreadable. If I enter the grub menu and tell it to boot Lubuntu form there, it loads just fine. You guys have any idea how that might be possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

ZTP; Hello,

OK, working with what we have to work with. Not a problem to try !
    Graphics is the issue, and that issue is dependent on a graphics driver, that is dependent on what the graphics interface is.
    Heads up, if it turns out to be SIS graphics on that old box, you are in for a long hard row to get graphics working.

To get your question of a persistent "nomodeset" one does edit the file /etc/default/grub -> this line: "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"" and add "nomodeset" @ quiet splash.

OK, here is a thought to get ya booting to a functional terminal to enable us to get relevant hardware information.

Edit that line and remove the terms quiet splash and insert the terms "text and nomodeset" . One then boots to a terminal (TTY1).
    Also something else we might be able to do is from the grub boot terminal, find out what graphical modes are supported and also edit the line in /etc/default grub to use that initial resolution (???) -> GRUB_GFXMODE=1600x900 ( where 1600x900 is the highest resolution MY monitor will support, yours will be different !)
    To know what modes are supported -> boot grub command line command 'vbeinfo'.

Once completed editing the grub file, as you know, the terminal command
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    must be issued to propagate the change to the rest of the system control files.

Once we are at a system terminal (TTY1); post back the out put of terminal commands:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    sudo lshw -C display
    To see your graphics card and info.

let us see what
    we can make happen
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    All Pentium 3's support PAE
    R U sure???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZTP View Post
    I do not need suggestions on which Linux distro to install
    no need to yell!

btw: if U have still Xp try this tool 4 boot from USB: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/mbrinstall.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xxx6 View Post
    R U sure???
    I'm sure about everything I post unless I clearly state otherwise.
    Please don't spread more PAE-fear. We have enough of that already.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12