Thread: Check if a process is stuck, then restart it

Beans

Check if a process is stuck, then restart it

Hey everyone,

I have a problem with one of my gameservers. Sometimes it just hangs and nothing's happening anymore.
    I need a script, that could detect this sort of state, kill the process and restart it.

If the process would just exit, it wouldn't be a deal to write a script, but since it just gets stuck, it's more of a problem for me... It's not consuming 100% CPU or RAM so this way isn't possible either.
    And yes, I've already googled and did search for solutions but I haven't found any yet...

I came up with this idea:
    The gameserver listens to a certain port. When it crashes does it still listen or is it declared as open but not listened since any data transferred through the port will be blocked cause the process is not running anymore?
    So may it be possible to check with netstat if the port is listened, when it doesn't it should restart it?
    Could that be a way? (Btw. nmap is not possible, Im filtering almost everything)

I hope someone can help me with this problem.
    Last edited by MajorPain931; March 2nd, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Beans

Re: Check if a process is stuck, then restart it

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPain931 View Post
    The gameserver listens to a certain port. When it crashes does it still listen or is it declared as open but not listened since any data transferred through the port will be blocked cause the process is not running anymore?
    So may it be possible to check with netstat if the port is listened, when it doesn't it should restart it?
    A service "listening" on a port could mean two different things:

To the kernel and netstat and other application not directly using the port, "listening" simply means that the application has made an agreement with the kernel. Perhaps before the application freezes. That's all netstat will tell you.

To the applications actually using the port, "listening" means that the application is willing to exchange data (functioning). Netstat won't tell you that. Instead, a client must try to connect . It needn't be a complex client, just enough of a client to prompt a response.

Beans

Okay, so this doesn't work.
    I also tried connecting with telnet on the port, but the only response I get is that the connection was rejected. I tested when server crashed and when running normal...
    Anybody else maybe a completely other idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why is the game service failing? Run it in a terminal with --debug. Try fixing the problem first.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Where should I add the --debug parameter?
    To be more specifically, it's about a modern warfare 1 server, I already tried reinstalling it and host a clean server. Still the same.
    It's running on a screen session, the screen also crashes but doesn't terminate.
    The server doesn't accept --debug as parameter

Is there really no other possiblity like e.g. on Windows? Send a request with a certain timeout, when I get no answer, it's stuck?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do you tell if a the server is "stuck" ? Does it no longer accept connections or does the service itself completely die? I would troubleshoot why that is happening like tgalati4 suggested.

Maybe start looking at the output of dmesg or the system log, or even start logging everything that service does to a file when you launch it by using:

Code:
    /path/to/service 2>&1 1> /path/to/log
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you run the service, try different switches: -h --help -? -d -v -vv -vvv Find anything that gives you some verbosity (text messages) in the console.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.