Thread: beginner with no experience. Want to start to learn coding.

Beans

beginner with no experience. Want to start to learn coding.

Hello. I've have no prior experience in programming or scripting, but I want to learn a high-level language that I can use to design GUI apps easily, and more importantly, my long term goal is to create my own linux window manager. I tried learning a little C but I'm not sure if that's what I want. I like the keywords and syntax of Ruby from looking at it briefly, so maybe a language like it. I heard Python is too slow. I want the language to be very easy to learn and with few keywords but powerful enough to help me achieve my interest in window managers and interfaces. I'm not TOO good at math, I can get simple formulas by looking them up, but I'm not too good at it. Can you recommend a good high-level language that would be easy, and which would easily make apps and good enough for WMs. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: beginner with no experience. Want to start to learn coding.

If you want to roll you own Linux Window Manager, you will have to learn C (and may be C++). But this doesn't need to be the first language you learn.

Python is a good programming language for beginners, but for what I have seen it's not very well suited to graphical UIs. In your case I would recommend Java, since it has a somewhat built-in graphical UI toolkit (Swing) with which you can learn the basics of object-oriented programming and UI programming.
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are python bindings for Qt, so you could use that to try graphical programs while learning python. There are some tutorials for that here and there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

You really should look into C; you could look into Java (there's one OS I know that used Java for its system - Netware). Um... you can practice your skills with Python - albeit slow, but you can still try different things to get an idea of what you would need to do. Um... someone built a WM in Lisp - http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/

You technically can build your WM in any language you want, but for ease of use wise... that's dependent on the programmer. Google some info on windows managers see what others have done, you could make the first Ruby-based WM there very well could possibly be a way.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11