Thread: will not awake from sleep mode

Beans

will not awake from sleep mode

Have just installed 12.04 and am running in Gnome Classic mode on a newish MSI MS-7641 mobo / AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz CPU with 4 GB RAM with installation on a 128Gb SSD using 40Gb partition. So far all OK except for the power saving mode.

When I set the computer to turn the screen off (whether 5 mins or one hour) in "System Settings / Brightness and Lock" with the screen lock feature either on or off, it refuses to later wake up no matter what key/s or combination of keys, or mouse click/s I attempt. A light tap on the power key does not work. The only way to get a display is to do a hard restart.

I have two other fairly late spec computers also running 12.04 on the same model SSD with no sleep problems. They both have more RAM, but surely 4GB is not insufficient.

If I do not use the screen sleep mode, rather just turn off the monitor, it does not matter how long the screen is off, when I turn it back on, the computer is still running just fine, so it would appear to be some sort of glitch in "Brightness and Lock". Is it possible to just re-install that feature or perhaps just "System Settings". Or is there an easier fix?
    Last edited by Odyssey1942; March 1st, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
    I'm old, in the way, and still a noob, but want to learn and trying, so replies in "A-B-C" with code/specifics are appreciated. Most of my posts are in the Absolute Beginners Forum, so please advise me as the beginner that I am. Many thanks.

Beans

Re: will not awake from sleep mode

Accidentally found the problem, which has to do with the monitor. I turned it off then back on, and there was the display in all it's glory. So the monitor is going to sleep "permanently" when the computer goes into sleep. It takes about 3-5 minutes of inactivity before it goes into suspension and cannot be woken from the keyboard.

This is new and so peculiar to this computer (i.e., does not happen with other computers.)

So thanks if you were thinking about answering, maybe.
    I'm old, in the way, and still a noob, but want to learn and trying, so replies in "A-B-C" with code/specifics are appreciated. Most of my posts are in the Absolute Beginners Forum, so please advise me as the beginner that I am. Many thanks.