I don't know if this problem is specific to Thunar or if its cause lies somewhere else:

When I connect my Android phone (an Xperia P running Android 4.1.2) to my laptop running UbuntuStudio 13.10 (i.e. with XFCE), sometimes the storage on my phone will mount and sometimes it won't. When it does mount, it sometimes takes ages for the root folder to show up, and sometimes it doesn't. The same goes for entering subdirectories. Sometimes no root folder shows up at all and I just have an empty window. When I try to copy files from the phone to the computer, copying multiple files nearly always fails, although I sometimes have more luck with single files. Sometimes it stops in mid transfer. Sometimes it doesn't even start the transfer and Thunar just hangs with an empty window where the operation progress display is supposed to be. Sometimes when a certain type of failure repeats itself endlessly, rebooting my phone will get me past that point, but then it will almost certainly fail further along. I've just spent most of two hours trying and failing to transfer a couple of hundred photos.

Is there a solution to this? If there were a solution involving disabling MTP support altogether and forcing the computer to talk to the phone in PTP, I could live with that.