Thread: Comodo antivirus system crash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Comodo antivirus system crash

I had the thing working, so I thought, after installing the correct driver. However, since then it will not run a full scan to completion, it gets so far then the whole system crashes; I have to switch off and re-boot.

Can anyone offer an explanation/solution for this please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Comodo antivirus system crash

I had problems with Comodo AV including it crashing, slowing boot times and not scanning emails. Frankly came to the conclusion it was not ready for prime time and really not needed on a Linux computer so I uninstalled it. The only value I could see with it is if it scanned outgoing emails and thereby prevented my PC from infecting Windows computers(assuming my PC had picked up a Windows virus by email or download). I believe that Comodo is not designed to work with desktop email programs like Thunderbird though so I never got it to work. Windows viruses will not affect a Linux PC and as far as I know there are no known Linux viruses in the wild
    Last edited by SuperFreak; February 18th, 2014 at 04:51 AM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by philromford-q View Post
    I had the thing working, so I thought, after installing the correct driver. However, since then it will not run a full scan to completion, it gets so far then the whole system crashes; I have to switch off and re-boot.

Sorry to hear your troubles are on going. Both of you.
    I have without A GLITCH Been running COMODO for the better part of a year now with nothing like your experiencing,
    Infact no issues at all. Plus about 6 installs for friends.
    Maybe you should start asking over in there forums.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philromford-q View Post

Two possible explanations:

1. Bad RAM. One of the RAM sticks in your computer might be failing. Using RAM intensively, such as when you're doing a virus scan, can trigger a bad RAM stick to misbehave, crashing the system.

2. Bad hard disk. Go into Disk Utility and check out the SMART statistics for the hard disk you are scanning. If it shows more than 12 sectors waiting to be reallocated (or unrecoverable) then you've got yourself a bad disk there. The disk will only get worse, so back up all the files on the hard disk. Since the disk you are scanning is most likely a Windows disk (no viruses on Linux) you should also check that you have a Windows restore CD or a Windows retail CD so you can reinstall Windows onto a new disk.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I did i fact try their forum, no go there. So I have dumped it and installed AVG; that requires commands in terminal, so no GUI but it works.
    'Ignorance is not always bliss'

PhilR

Beans
    Distro

1. RAM? I don't know.

2. BAD HD, it tests fine.

Now using AVG from the command line.
    'Ignorance is not always bliss'

PhilR