Thread: Absent asterisks

Beans

Absent asterisks

I have long used this command:

Code:
    mkdir temp && for f in *.wav; do lame --vbr-new -V 3 "$f" ./temp/"${f%.wav}.mp3"; done
    to convert .wav files to .mp3.

And successfully. I believe.

Running the script results in the display of dynamic histograms - populated by asterisks. But not always. Sometimes there are percentage (%) symbols, ranging from one to perhaps a dozen, instead.

Does anyone know why that happens. What that means. And what, if anything, should I be doing about it ...

TIA

Beans

Beans

Re: Absent asterisks

It is the smallest and most pedantic point but I believe that the option --vbr-new is only required if you are using lame 3.97 and earlier (although not all earlier versions had access to this option). For lame 3.98 and above the 'new' vbr method is the default. Version can be seen:

Code:
    andrew@ilium~$ lame --version | head -n 1
    LAME 64bits version 3.99.5 (http://lame.sf.net)
    Now if only there were an award on these Forums for being pedantically correct.....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

So! The correct command is:

Code:
    mkdir temp && for f in *.wav; do lame -V 3 "$f" ./temp/"${f%.wav}.mp3"; done
    ??

that said, does that have anything to do with my '%' "problem"?

Beans

Did you read the link in my previous post? I thought that answered it, which is why you gave no response..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Langstracht View Post
    that said, does that have anything to do with my '%' "problem"?
    Absolutely nothing . I suspect that Temujin has given you the best answer for this issue...

Beans

Yes I read the link.

Not that I was any the wiser.

Not sure why the post was a 'personal guess' as opposed to a 'fact'.

And, my reading of it was that any one file would produce either '%' OR '*'. That is not what I had.

Consequently I continue to wonder whether I have a problem or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Langstracht View Post
    Not sure why the post was a 'personal guess' as opposed to a 'fact'.
    Probably because the documentation is not all that comprehensive and sure knowledge of the fine details of mp3 encoding is not held by that many people. I could find no further mention of the use of these symbols via Google and a grep through the source was not helpful as the symbols are very common.

Consequently I continue to wonder whether I have a problem or not.
    I suspect not unless you have noticed anything particularly odd with the resulting file. As suggested in Temujin's link you could experiment a little with lame's mode setting but I suspect the existing sane defaults are your best friend with lame...

Beans

Probably because the documentation is not all that comprehensive and sure knowledge of the fine details of mp3 encoding is not held by that many people. I could find no further mention of the use of these symbols via Google and a grep through the source was not helpful as the symbols are very common.
    The paucity of information was what prompted me to post to the forum ...

If this %age thing IS causing a problem then I haven't identified it. So I guess I'll just keep calm and carry on. Regardless one might say. And tag this thread solved.

Thanks for taking the time.