Thread: Dark Themes Versus Web Pages That Assume Otherwise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dark Themes Versus Web Pages That Assume Otherwise

Here's a question for dark theme users: How do you deal with web pages that are universally designed for dark text on a white/light background?

I've recently found one or two dark KDE themes that appeal to me. But, the contrast between the dark chrome in a browser and the bright white of a typical web page is pretty jarring. I know about Stylish and know enough CSS to craft my own stylesheet, but that seems likely to break page designs because, again, they assume dark text on a light background.

Beans

Re: Dark Themes Versus Web Pages That Assume Otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    ... I know about Stylish and know enough CSS to craft my own stylesheet, but that seems likely to break page designs because, again, they assume dark text on a light background.
    But it's possible to achieve quite a lot for specific sites. See this style for example: https://userstyles.org/styles/18192/nightshift-eye-care. I keep it for YouTube; not perfect but good enough for me.

I have to make quite a few compromises to compensate for my lack of ability to use CSS efficiently but I get along with lighter text on a darker background for the most part. For "mission-critical" stuff, I disable styles and put up with the whiteness.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This problem just doesnt seem to have a cure IMO, that's why I gave up eventually.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

A couple of years ago I was messing around with installing UX themes in windows(very bad idea..Messes up the admin mms programs and system in general) and Chrome noticed it and I had a offer for a dark theme high contrast toggle that worked great..
    AH HA found it here. Is this what your looking for.
    For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_Simonds View Post
    A couple of years ago I was messing around with installing UX themes in windows(very bad idea..Messes up the admin mms programs and system in general) and Chrome noticed it and I had a offer for a dark theme high contrast toggle that worked great..
    AH HA found it here. Is this what your looking for.
    I've used that extension when it just came out. I used it again recently. Ugly. And it's made by Google so the poor quality comes as a surprise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can see inverting white (#FFFFFF) to black (#000000), but those actually aren't used that often. So, I'm not sure how the extension would handle inverting colors like #F1F1F1 or #323232.

My dark theme experiment is over, though. Seems like it might be fine if you can completely control your environment (as a developer who spends all day inside editors and terminals might). You really can't do that if you have any interaction with the web.