Thread: No wireless on Compaq Presario V6000

Beans

No wireless on Compaq Presario V6000

First of all, i am completely new to Ubuntu. I bought an old Compaq Presario V6000 just to try it out, but my the wireless network doesnt seem to be working. I tried all sorts of commands that you all posted here, I don't think it's helping since I see that I dont exactly have the same results as anyone. I dont know what the problem is. So it would be very much appreciated if any one could help me out. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Not Finding Wireless Networks - Lenovo Ideapad w/ Windows 8 Dual Boo

A_ger21 welcome to the Forum.

To give us more of a clue what hardware you have follow the directions posted by Wild Man earlier in this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No wireless on Compaq Presario V6000

Appending a post at the end of a solved thread about a different machine might not yield the best results.
    Moved to new thread
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How about telling us about your wireless device? Please run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    rfkill list all
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Not Finding Wireless Networks - Lenovo Ideapad w/ Windows 8 Dual Boo

here
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Welcome to the forums A_ger21 !

Your wireless_script report shows no wireless cards of any kind at all ! -
    Code:
    ***** lspci *****

00:14.0 Bridge [0680]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller [10de:0269] (rev a3)
    	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Presario V6133CL [103c:30b7]
    	Kernel driver in use: forcedeth

***** lsusb *****

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 090c:1000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) 64MB QDI U2 DISK
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

***** PCMCIA Card Info *****

***** iwconfig *****
    Does the laptop even have one?

You mentioned you bought an old one, maybe the card was taken out before selling it? Maybe it's fried or just loose?

Or above all, does this model even have one? It seems that some of the models in this series come without a wireless card, e.g. V6310CA here : http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...421.html?dnr=2

Yours appears to be a different model (V6000-RG287UA), but I couldn't find its specs on the net. Maybe it is too outdated?

EDIT: Okay, found a link which *may be* of the exact model you have : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...01_title_r0001
    This one seems to have a wireless card, but it is not unusual for the same model to come with different specs at different times/places. Besides, I'm not sure if this one is indeed the same as yours.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

sorry for the late reply.

Yes this is the model (V6000-RG287UA)
    But I am not really sure if it has a wireless card. The guy said it has, but he probably wasnt telling me the truth. Is there any way for me to figure it out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is there any way for me to figure it out?
    Some laptops have a little door on the bottom for the wireless card. Does yours? What's in it?

You could also Google the maintenance manual and take it apart (!!) and look. You could also assume that either it doesn't have one or, if it does, it's defective and just get a USB wireless.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.