Thread: Firefox does not start on 64bit live or VM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Firefox does not start on 64bit live or VM.

I have tried three times to install a VM in Virtualbox 4.3.8 with a live .iso from the daily image site, downloaded 25 Feb using zsync, so I know the image file is fine. There have been no updatsd to the image since then to attempt a newer install.

Almost everything works but Firefox (version 25) will not load giving an error in terminal. This is actually copied from a live system running in VBox, but the installed VM gave exactly the same error, except for a different process pid. I am about to try running the live system on real hardware instead of in VBox so will report back shortly if things are any different in that situation.
    Code:
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ firefox

(process:3200): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size ==0' failed
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    The 64bit Xubuntu daily, fully updated, works fine and is running in a VM as I speak, as does the 32 bit Lubuntu daily.

Any thoughts, or is it just a glitch of that particular day's Lubuntu 64 image?

EDIT:
    I have just used the same daily Lubuntu 64 iso as a live system on real hardware in stead of on VBox, as I said I was about to, and the problem is exactly the same; Firefox is simply refusing to run with exactly the same error message.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 27th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Firefox does not start on 64bit live or VM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks sudodus. I had already found a bug report a while after posting here, but it's only in Lubuntu that it has happened to me, not Xubuntu 64bit, and only the 64bit version; the i386 Lubuntu is fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, it is a strange bug.