Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone explain .......Linux vs Windows

Beans

Re: Can someone explain .......Linux vs Windows

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I'd agree that Linux several years ago could be annoyingly weak in terms of hardware support the desktop. I do not find it so at this point. (Unless you insist on brand new devices.)

Windows primary security vulnerability now seems to be its ubiquity. Malware is generally done for profit, so the biggest ROI is in attacking Windows and Windows users.

However, earlier, when Windows moved into the internet environment while it was still transitioning away from its DOS base and building out NT and the NT kernel, things were pretty ugly for a long time. Seemed to me MS often proceeded as if the web was simply an extended office LAN.

Your comments about Users Behaving Badly are well taken, on any platform.
    Yep personally wouldn't want a huge influx of Window users into Linux. And getting inundated with all those "How Do I disable that constant Password Thingy?" type questions. Or why won't my blah-blah work in Linux questions. As the masses are just too damn lazy and clueless about changing habits. They don't wish to learn and just "We want to click on things to make us Go"

And yep if Linux was a viable money making target. Then there would be more work required to protect oneself even on linux.

For me the leaving Ubuntu back in 2008 had to do more with non-existence or immature app's for my Video & Image editing photography business. But coming back in Nov. 2012 during a business lull and finding all kinds of apps for my needs. Also was impressed with the expanded hardware coverage in Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If IBM hadn't taken the step of releasing its PC back in the 1980s, inspiring the release of technology that forms part of the heritage of today's machines, the Windows family of products that we've grown to love (?) would probably take a different form.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    ...masses are just too damn lazy and clueless about changing habits. They don't wish to learn and just "We want to click on things to make us Go"
    Well, few consumers are interested enough in computing to spend any time learning anything. (Much less anything in depth, which might require... books!) I'm not bashing here, it's just that most people see and use computers as appliances. They buy them and they expect them to work and be dead simple as soon as they are out of the box.

The platforms that succeed will be those that make essential things -- like backup and security -- as automatic and painless as possible. Here in Linux we tout "choice". That's all well and good. But, most consumers are not interested in being forced to choose between alternative ways to do things that they do not really want to do in the first place. I.e., people want backups and people want security, but they don't want to work hard getting them, and they certainly do not want to be confronted with decisions they know they lack the competence to make.

That's why we see millions and millions of people buying Apple devices, while over in the corner a few people are being ignored while they holler about "lock-in" and "control".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Well, few consumers are interested enough in computing to spend any time learning anything. (Much less anything in depth, which might require... books!) I'm not bashing here, it's just that most people see and use computers as appliances. They buy them and they expect them to work and be dead simple as soon as they are out of the box.

The platforms that succeed will be those that make essential things -- like backup and security -- as automatic and painless as possible. Here in Linux we tout "choice". That's all well and good. But, most consumers are not interested in being forced to choose between alternative ways to do things that they do not really want to do in the first place. I.e., people want backups and people want security, but they don't want to work hard getting them, and they certainly do not want to be confronted with decisions they know they lack the competence to make.

That's why we see millions and millions of people buying Apple devices, while over in the corner a few people are being ignored while they holler about "lock-in" and "control".
    Yep +1 on that assessment and really a sad state. As see this happening in all aspects of society. Since they removed parallel parking from the driving manual here in Oregon because it was too hard. Now it's a comic affair watching people trying to parallel park.

And why I don't waste a lot of time convincing people to give it a serious try that complain about linux and being shocked that it isn't a click this OS they are use to. And happily point them back to windows. For those willing to learn and more flexible to change will bend over backwards to help them make the transition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Hmmm that has been a reaching statement that I found through experience to be a matter of perspective and many times false. I have run XP & Win7 for over 15 years secured without malware,spyware & viruses. And ran stable without drivers/hardware issues. But then again I was a field tech that drove around through the last half of the 90's servicing computers. And before that a engineering tech at Siltronics for 8 years. And a computer geek through the 70's-80's with my Vic20,Commodore 64,Amiga 500,1000,2000,3000 and onto the Ibm PC variants.

I have found that insecure or stability issues are more a result of user's lack of motivation to educate and apply necessary maintenance to their desktop. No educating themselves on safe web browsing practices. No understanding about viruses and malware. Not making backups of their precious data. No time to time cleaning their system out of unused programs. Upgrading to latest graphic drivers when there was no need for it in the first place or just installing "Things" with no rhyme or reason as the no. 1 breakages and rolling back to tried and true solved the issue. Or badly implemented 3rd party drivers and blaming windows for the instability.

Honestly I have found more breakage in the Linux world that had nothing to do with user's practices. Bugs galore and more specific and unique to specific hardware issues. Or updates that bork the desktop. That takes some heavy lifting to solve or workaround. Which isn't the average user's forte.

When your hardware is totally supported then sure Linux is inherently more secure,more stable and a better OS to use. But so is Windows.
    You can argue the philosophical reasons as sufficient in and of itself not to use windows. You can argue the positive merits of a Open & Free OS community.

But to argue that Windows is inherently a bad OS or less stable than Linux is going a bit too far from the technical merits alone. As bad user's practices or bad 3rd party drivers are specific to them and not the windows OS. To blame windows for that is far reaching and disingenuous at best.

Don't get me wrong. As hate Windows for their practices and there evil doings part. And Win8 was a flop.
    But have used Windows7 & XP with a magnitude of less issues then in Linux back in Red Hat 5 1996 or 2006-08 days. Loving it again as Linux as come far and now it is becoming a true OS that quite capable to be used by the masses. As long as there is someone there to hold their hand or they are willing to invest some time in learning to do linux.
    While using Windows what I have realized is no matter which antivirus you use you are going to get infected if you dont restrict yourself to a number of sites. What I mean is with Linux I can surf randomly without the fear of getting infected.

Virus is just one issue the other issue is spyware. I had to install antispyware tool for those.

In my case the only hardware that didnt work is my scanner.
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wouldn't say that Windows is worse or Linux is better. They are different platforms and do not play very well with each other. However developers currently mostly prefer Windows because of its long-term popularity among users. Nowadays the situation changes and continues to change. We currently see that more and more developers long to write programs or adopt them to be run on linux natively - and all this because linux popularity has grown and continues to grow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep +1 on that assessment and really a sad state.
    I don't think it's "sad". Pretty obviously, people *will* make the effort to learn something when they see a payoff. E.g., they learn to drive. It's natural, though, that we are reluctant to make an effort to learn something when we think the payoff is not at all comensurate with the learning curve. E.g., parallel parking. (Better to learn how to back out of a parking space at the mall when your vision is blocked by two SUV's.)

Ditto computing. Unless you are interested in computing in and of itself, and few are, it's just a means to an end. If Windows or OS X or Android or iOS meet your needs, why make the effort to use Linux simply to be able to do exactly the same things you did before?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    While using Windows what I have realized is no matter which antivirus you use you are going to get infected if you dont restrict yourself to a number of sites. What I mean is with Linux I can surf randomly without the fear of getting infected.
    You won't be troubled by malware specifically targeting Windows and its components. But, you are just as vulnerable to malware targeting a non-Windows browser, Java, etc.

And, you are just as vulnerable to schemes targeting *you*.

Don't imagine that Linux is intrinsically malware-proof. It can't be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    If IBM hadn't taken the step of releasing its PC back in the 1980s, inspiring the release of technology that forms part of the heritage of today's machines, the Windows family of products that we've grown to love (?) would probably take a different form.
    We can only be grateful for the effort of IBM, and also for the fact that they initially refused to follow the path to better hardware/software (i386, OS/2) so that the market opened up. Microsoft made use of that opportunity. In another world I see Apple and the closed Mac. Their domination would probably mean no Linux and a weirdly different world... Or if IBM had put more effort in PC's, we would all be using OS/2, a product that had it in itself to outshine Windows.

Beans

I've been an Ubuntu user now for around 3 yrs and like it. Pretty much like Windows for me (except things are in different places) The missus is a long time WinXP user.. A few weeks ago her computer just wouldn't start up. ( I personally think she inadvertently turned it off at the mains whilst it was installing update x of x (she is blonde after all)) I don't have a Win XP installation disk, so installed Ubuntu on to her pile of silicon, letting her try it first on USB before going ahead and installing it to her HDD. She's been on it for a fortnight now, but wants her Windoze back (even though it's working perfectly well for her)
    Such is the power that Microsoft have over computer users (being the No 1 OS supplier worldwide)
    The only things I don't like about Ubuntu, is,, the lack of support for the old 3.5" floppy disk drives.. Yes old hat I hear you say,, but I have a Yamaha keyboard which uses these. I do a fair amount of music sequencing and ideally need to transfer these to 3.5" FDD's to play back on my keyboard. (dunna fancy taking my computer with me to gigs, when I can get all my songs on 3 or 4 FDD's) At least when her computer was running WinXP, I could transfer files from my computer to a memory stick then plug into her computer and transfer these to a USB floppy disk drive.. (Yes she complained for every second I was on her computer too) The only other thing with Ubuntu, is,,, I used to play Eve Online (bloody great game) Now on Ubuntu, I can only ever try and play it through Play On Linux or Wine.,, but the lag is just too much and when another player locks on to me,,, by the time I try to warp away, I'm bloody egged.

One really good thing about Ubuntu is the new life it can give to older computers (like mine and hers) I doubt whether her computer could run Win7, so that's out of the question, so Ubuntu it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12