Thread: Xubuntu most common problems

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Xubuntu most common problems

I am in the process of writing a manual which will have instructions for fixing all of the most common problems encountered by Xubuntu users.

I would like to include around 100-200 problems, which would give a good base for people who are just starting with Xubuntu, or any of the *buntus for that matter.

So what are some of the most common problems encountered by Xubuntu users?
    Things to remember :
    - Use proper english
    - Comment your code
    - Keep background information and introductions to a minimum

Beans

Re: Xubuntu most common problems

This article is pretty cool:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli.../first-xubuntu
    It doesn't actually describe problems, but suggests ways of avoiding them.

Beans

old session never get killed when reboot. Unmounted partitions shown on desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To set up autologin, I think you have to edit a config file manually.

Beans
    Hidden!

These problems are common at the Ubuntu Forums, not Xubuntu-specific, but general for linux

1. Problems with graphics chips/cards, where the built in drivers don't work well and or where the proprietary drivers are needed. (Sometimes they work, but not always).

2. Problems with wifi chips/cards, where the built in drivers don't work well and or where the proprietary drivers are needed. (Sometimes they work, but not always).

3. Problems to install linux: to download an iso file and make an install CD/DVD/USB drive and to make the computer boot from it (beginner level).

4. Problems with dual boot of new computers with UEFI and Windows 8. Boot-Repair is a useful tool (advanced level).

5. Problems with dual boot of middle-aged computers with MSDOS partition table and four primary partitions (advanced level).

6. Problems to read from and write to external drives (beginner level).

*. I suggest that you write something about backup, the advantage of regular backups instead of more or less hopeless rescue actions, when a drive is damaged. Those problems are so serious, that they are too common even if they are not among the most common problems.

*. And I suggest that you write something about security. See for example this link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not sure if mentioned in some of that links, but I noticed few bugs with vlc and xubuntu. Since I moved to Elementary OS I don't know if they are still there.
    1. Ugly buttons in vlc (they were much nicer in Ubuntu).
    2. If you are watching movie in fullscreen mode, switching between programs, caused that top bar (where the clock and workspaces are) appeared even in fullscreen mode.
    Last edited by GreatDanton; March 1st, 2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typing mistake

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Software Centre, Synaptic and Update Manger are useful when a system is in good working order but not when solving problems regarding package management.

I suggest an introduction to apt and a few commands which can be used for troubleshooting.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have hrorizontal tearing across the screen while watching fast action movie on VLC or any player. Haven't figure out how to solve it yet despite Googling about it. But Kubuntu never have this problem.