Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Convert address book

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Convert address book

You know, I'd LOVE to continue on....."but".......Since not working since 1996, even though I was a systems programmer and sys admin on everything from big boat anchor pieces of iron down to micros, I've lost everything since then. I feel embarrased with my lack of C knowledge now. I guess close to 20 years with no use it just goes away - certainly not like riding a bike ! Same with networking - used to be old hat, now I'm just a disaster waiting to happen.

So......I think I'll just stop with what I needed for now - the ability to convert the juno address book. I'd really love to continue, and I see in my head what I have to do, but I just don't remember the programming enough anymore to make it happen. Maybe because it's a "what the heck" thing now versus an absolute for work.

So, thanks for the input and the ideas - it just my lack of programming skills now that makes me have to stop. I think the guys in the Programming forum where pretty tired of me already!

Beans
    Hidden!

I see. Well, once the data format is CSV, it can be managed by simple tools like spread-sheets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for understanding - I make myself kind of mad when in my head I still know exactly what to do, but all of my tech programming background has gone to heck! Sometimes I think paying for that college eduction has really paid off later in life!

At least if anyone is looking for a tool to just convert a simple Juno .nv address book, this will convert to CSV files for Gmail, Thunderbird and Yahoo. Not much, and makes for a very isolated thing. Oh well......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Something I did learn playing around with all of this: a lot of the address books will import the CSV exported file from another with no problem. There are sometimes fields that aren't matched up, or might get truncated, etc., but for most simple address books it works pretty close.

Beans

Hi, I have the same problem with needing to convert Juno NV file to CSV. My firend has 1200 contacts in there and it needs to be uploaded to Gmail. I am not a programmer and do not know how to open the program. Can you help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Harris View Post
    Hi, I have the same problem with needing to convert Juno NV file to CSV. My firend has 1200 contacts in there and it needs to be uploaded to Gmail. I am not a programmer and do not know how to open the program. Can you help me?
    After your last PM I had a look at the snipet of the .nv file. It contains a "Work Address:" record, which requires a lot of parsing down to it distinct fields. The program (download via the attachment in post #16 of this thread) currently does not do that. You've offered me money, but I have no interest in that - the program is to remain free. It has also long-since served the purpose that I needed and wrote the code for in the first place.

My suggestion?

(1) Download the source via the attachment in post #16 of this thread

(2) Take that code, and the snipet of the .nv file like you sent me, to someone who is versed in C programming in Linux. The code is laid out such that it isn't hard to add that in, but it also requires parsing on double "^" and the program currently only parses at a single character.

The peron who modifies the code for you also needs to be aware that it doesn't look at first glance that gmail supports work data. Thunderbird does, and it appears yahoo does as well.

The single most important thing: the modified source MUST be posted back here, and the code MUST remain free. It's between you and that person if you pay them for the work but since it is my code, I require that the modified source be posted here in an attachment and the code MUST remain free open-source. Not adhering to those rules is prohibited. I think that falls under 1 of the open source licenses.
    Last edited by squakie; July 1st, 2014 at 08:41 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123