Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu encountered an internal error + stuck at upgrades for new kernel

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu encountered an internal error + stuck at upgrades for new kernel

Read error - read (5: Input/Output error)
    As already stated, this often indicates physical errors and running a disk check should be done first. This can be checked with "Disk Utility" which I think is already installed as part of the default install.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applicat...-disk-utility/

There is also a chance that /dpkg/status has been corrupted and you could try replacing it.

Code:
    sudo mv --backup --suffix=.broke /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status

Beans

I did the SMART test with disk utility, it reported 1300+ read errors from raw disk!!! I dont know if that is normal.
    The bad thing is, I cant use firefox on ubuntu and software centre is crashing, update-apt-xapian-index stopped abruptly as well, and the system reported several internal errors when I entered Ubuntu, mainly the I/O error. It failed to parse lists/status files indeed as it reported, in this case: /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-security_main_binary-i386_Packages, this package couldnt be parsed. BTW im posting this from windows, why cant i copy paste into this adv reply window???
    I tried your command line with mv, but it reported that it couldn't find the old one... so I have no backup? Anyway, the function you gave me didnt work out.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I guess it's obvious that the installation is falling apart, and I doubt it's worth trying to save it.
    Do you have any important data on the system?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

A system falling apart? That must be my fault. But I followed all the steps for installation, I just read lately about a md5checksum or sth to check your image of ubuntu you downloaded...didnt know about that at all. The image I burned on my disk looked good. But after installation, no problems occurred. It has been lately that my windows partition experienced multiple hard disk corruptions... maybe that is the cause? BTW My ubuntu OS is for me to use linux and to develop for linux (C++) but there is no data on there that I have not on windows 7, so no backup is needed at all. Are you hinting that I need to reinstall Ubuntu?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

lately that my windows partition experienced multiple hard disk corruptions...
    I think your hard drive is in the process of crashing. You better backup your windows files before it does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12