Thread: Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600

I am looking at purchasing a Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600 radio. Has anyone had experience with one of these in any of the 'buntus?
    Advice would be appreciated.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600

The Amazon reviews are generally pretty good. Are you looking for a remote control that runs on Ubuntu? There are a few remote controls for the Roku Soundbridge (a similar product from years ago). If the API is open, then someone will program an interface, otherwise you can use your phone to control it.

For the same money you can get a RaspberryPi with a Wolfson Audio board (better sound) and plug that into your existing stereo system. Then you have a low-power, 24/7 server that can run media as well as other linux services. If you need a kitchen or a bedside radio that non-geeks will use, then this would work well. What specific integration with Ubuntu are you considering?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

tgalati4, thank you for the reply. Right now I'm in my research phase. This is for my husband (who has little to no interest in computers). He just likes having the radio on, but our local analog stations stink. So I'm looking for a regular type radio that he can use in his study or workshop, something that we can use wirelessly with our router. But it's all new to me so I figured I'd better do my homework first.

The Amazon reviews do look pretty good and I downloaded the users manual, but of course it's either Windows or Mac set-up. This is a reason why I keep Win7 on a dual boot; I know I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to set this up on my own. This radio was mentioned in an old forum thread (2011) with no indication of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Are you looking for a remote control that runs on Ubuntu? There are a few remote controls for the Roku Soundbridge (a similar product from years ago). If the API is open, then someone will program an interface, otherwise you can use your phone to control it.
    Does this mean the included remote control won't work for the radio and Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    For the same money you can get a RaspberryPi with a Wolfson Audio board (better sound) and plug that into your existing stereo system. Then you have a low-power, 24/7 server that can run media as well as other linux services. If you need a kitchen or a bedside radio that non-geeks will use, then this would work well. What specific integration with Ubuntu are you considering?
    No existing stereo system, but you've intrigued me. I'll have to look into this.

Beans
    Distro

I just wanted to follow through with an update. I got the Grace Digital Innovator X GDI-IR2600. Getting it up and running was a piece of cake. OS didn't matter because I set it up through my wifi. Sound isn't the greatest but for it's intended purpose it's just fine.