Thread: browser question

Beans

browser question

I have very recently witched 100% to linux ( 12.4). Stll learning but enjoying the .
    frustration . My quetion is:
    I pay a utility bill which i just found out does not support firefox. Is it posibble ( without a lot of trouble) to install chrome?
    I seem to have read that chrome offers more securuty issues ?
    is there any major plus/minus between firefox and chrome?

tia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: browser question

Yep, you can install google chrome quite easy.
    Just go to the chrome website.
    It should automatically point you to the one you need.
    Download the file and inside the Downloads Folder, double click on it.
    This should launch the Software Center and allow you to begin the installation.

Then open the Ubuntu menu(dash) and type chrome.
    Then launch it and chrome should start.

Whether Chrome or Firefox is better than the other, is something to each his own.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Or you can install Chromium, the open source project from which Google Chrome draws it's source code (it's the same browser without the proprietary stuff). It's present in Ubuntu repositories and you can install it using Ubuntu Software Center or typing sudo apt-get install chromium-browser in a terminal.
    Ubuntu Trusty Tahr on Asus K55VD, Intel Core i7-3610QM, 8Gb Ram, Nvidia Geforce 610MOCZ, Vertex 4 64Gb + Hitachi 1Tb.
    Ubuntu Gnome (14.04) on Macbook Air (mid-2013) Intel Dual-Core i7, 8Gb Ram, Intel HD5000, SSD 256Gb

Beans

I have installed the version of adobe required on ubuntu.
    However still no luck.
    May i trouble you for the command or action to find out what my default reader is AND what version of adobe reader is installed.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One trick you can try is installing the User Agent Switcher add-on for Firefox. Then you can tell the browser to send a Windows user-agent string during negotiation with the site. Often the only restriction against using Firefox or Linux is that the application looks for an IE user agent and refuses anything else.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Chromium Browser. Install it from the repositories. Then install Pepper Flash.

* And the switcher is another possible option, as mentioned by SeijiSensei in previous post.

Just curious; do you mean your utility company site only accepts transactions using Chrome? Bizarre. And Windows Explorer I presume? Just out of curiosity, I'd love to know the details of what it does work on.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 25th, 2014 at 08:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    One trick you can try is installing the User Agent Switcher add-on for Firefox. Then you can tell the browser to send a Windows user-agent string during negotiation with the site. Often the only restriction against using Firefox or Linux is that the application looks for an IE user agent and refuses anything else.
    +1 to this. This is the easiest work around. Do other things only if this doesn't work. There are a few user agent switcher, I use the user agent overrider.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 25th, 2014 at 08:11 PM.

Beans

Well firstly, may i say that it is such a pleasure and delight to finally have a browser that speaks to me.
    Secondly, may i report just as a matter of information that the utility required adobe reader 8,9 minimum.
    I loaded it as per instruction sfrom this forum but it did not work.
    However after resarting the computer after some time elapse - so of a gun it did work and the utility accepted my information .
    so it was not thebrowser bu loading the appropriate reader.

you guys are the best. THANK YOU

And in five years when i get to understand this platform i will return the favor,
    HAHA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Happy to see you got it to work
    Please mark your thread as solved : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads
    (Thanks Iowan for the link )
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |