Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After Installing Ubuntu on another partition, i can no longer access windows 8.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: After Installing Ubuntu on another partition, i can no longer access windows 8.1

Ok. try this option in your BIOS.
    Boot_Menu.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: After Installing Ubuntu on another partition, i can no longer access windows 8.1

Edit: i have ran boot repair a total of 3 times thus far
    In the boot-repair window can you click on the second button
    Create a boot-info summary

and post here the url which is generated.

We can then inspect your system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Since you ran Boot-Repair several times, did you say yes to buggy UEFI? Best to undo it.

buggy-kernel detected. Do you want to activate [Backup and rename Windows EFI files]? yes (if any choice fails, please retry with the other)
    To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.

With the renamed file you cannot directly boot Windows from UEFI menu as it really is shim.
    And a Windows update may rewrite the bootmgfw.efi file overwriting the shim version, so then if you can only boot the Windows version you have to rerun boot repair. If you can boot Ubuntu entry in UEFI menu, undo the rename.

Then see if you can boot Windows. If not post link to BootInfo Report from Ubuntu or live installer.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

There you have the cavalry has arrived, now it's time to try what they say.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xepherxv View Post
    i do not, my copy of windows.....well.....wasnt exactly legit. i made my own computer i cant afford a $150 operating system (i did not know about linux at the time) i was planning on buying it later, but i do now have a job atm so im at a standstill
    By which I take it that you are violating Microsoft's licensing. We do not condone this on the UF.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12