Hi guys. I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux. I installed version 12.04LTS on my Acer netbook with absolutely no problems. I have it runing alongside my soon-to-be-obsolete Windows XP. So, here's what i've done so far.

I have gone to the Skype site and downloaded the recommended version. The download seems to go OK and I eventually was asked for my password which I typed in. The program seemed to be installing, but when it was complete (and the page said "installed") I was returned to the software center. I then closed the software center and firefox and looked on the launcher and there was no skype icon. I see that i did infact download the file because i can find it in the files and folders section of Ubuntu. I have tried re-installing it and then I re-downloaded it and tried again. Same results.

I then did some reading here on the forum and found some posts by Ian-Weisser who suggested going to the "terminal" and entering this code:

sudo apt-add-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner" and
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

After reading up a little on "Terminal" (kinda like the old DOS prompt in Windows) I entered the code and got the following error message:

E: Malformed line 56 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Basically, I wanted to use Linux to resurrect this old net book and use it pretty much just for Skype, so I really would like to get this working. Any help would be greatly be appreciated.

-Dr. Bob