Thread: Kernel numbering

Beans

Kernel numbering

Hi,I am completely confused with kernel numbering. I have read about the scheme how it is organised etc. The problem is different. I need to modify the usb audio driver for the machine with kernel (uname -r gives that) 3.2.0-58-generic. Ok, I found /lib/modules/3.2.0-58-generic but when I dig into build and look at the Makefile at the top I found:VERSION = 3PATCHLEVEL = 2SUBLEVEL = 53EXTRAVERSION =NAME = Saber-toothed SquirrelThe same I can find in the kernel sources - the kernel version tagged as Ubuntu-3.2.0-58.88 in git claims in the Makefile:VERSION = 3PATCHLEVEL = 2SUBLEVEL = 53EXTRAVERSION =NAME = Saber-toothed Squirrelso it is apparently consistent and I finally found the right kernel. But why it is organised like that?PS. The 'cat /proc/version_signature ' gives also:Ubuntu 3.2.0-58.88-generic 3.2.53

Beans

Re: Kernel numbering

Last edited by Dave_L; February 24th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mariusz_Grecki View Post
    Hi,I am completely confused with kernel numbering. I have read about the scheme how it is organised etc. The problem is different. I need to modify the usb audio driver for the machine with kernel (uname -r gives that) 3.2.0-58-generic. Ok, I found /lib/modules/3.2.0-58-generic but when I dig into build and look at the Makefile at the top I found:VERSION = 3PATCHLEVEL = 2SUBLEVEL = 53EXTRAVERSION =NAME = Saber-toothed SquirrelThe same I can find in the kernel sources - the kernel version tagged as Ubuntu-3.2.0-58.88 in git claims in the Makefile:VERSION = 3PATCHLEVEL = 2SUBLEVEL = 53EXTRAVERSION =NAME = Saber-toothed Squirrelso it is apparently consistent and I finally found the right kernel. But why it is organised like that?PS. The 'cat /proc/version_signature ' gives also:Ubuntu 3.2.0-58.88-generic 3.2.53
    If you are on 12.04 then instead of patching the 3.2 kernel you could try first upgrading to the latest LTS enablement stack, which will install the kernel (version 3.11) and X from Saucy, aka 13.10, and see if that will improve your situation.

Just follow the instructions and then reboot.

Hope that helps.

Beans

thanks Dave_L and kostkon for your help.