Thread: most useful DE for education and science work

Beans

most useful DE for education and science work

I currently work in a university setting where I teach, work clinically, and conduct a small amount of original research. I have tried to convert to some of the newer DEs (e.g., Unity, Gnome Shell) for my work but have found that productivity suffered, even with a dual-monitor setup. As a result I have reverted to KDE and developed a greater appreciation for it.

My question to everyone is whether or not they find traditional desktops like KDE, Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE better suited for educational/scientific work or if many of you have easily adapted to Gnome Shell/Unity while maintaining or increasing productivity.

Please share your experiences!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: most useful DE for education and science work

I'm using lubuntu at home because my laptop is getting old (I have macs at work). The desktop is not that important to me, as I can always tweak the environment to my likings. I used unity up to the moment my laptop could not handle it nicely anymore. I teach at a univ, lots of resources I create with scenari or Libreoffice, available on both OS, and lots of other things are within a browser.

So use whatever works best for you
    Last edited by bapoumba; February 24th, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

For example, I have noticed that the KDE file manager, Dolphin, has been a godsend due to split window and tab features. Even more useful has been Okular for quickly selecting images from scanned pdfs for inclusion into presentations. However, LibreOffice does not seem to look as nice in KDE. Often I experience font kerning issues which motivate me to try alternatives that are sub-par (e.g., Calligra) or beta quality on linux (e.g., Kingsoft Office).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I use Linux Mint MATE because I have a mixture of old and older machines. I like a consistent desktop across all machines and I don't want to shift between Unity and Gnome2/metacity/MATE.

So if your lab has all new machines and they run Unity OK, then use that. If you have a mixture of old and older machines then use a desktop that works well on the older hardware and keep a consistent interface throughout the lab.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mdshaver81 View Post
    My question to everyone is whether or not they find traditional desktops like KDE, Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE better suited for educational/scientific work or if many of you have easily adapted to Gnome Shell/Unity while maintaining or increasing productivity.
    My own small example is that I finished off a Bachelor of Arts degree using Fluxbox which was actually a small mistake as the less fully featured desktops (and of course Fluxbox is really only a window manager) encourage too much snooping around in config files which takes up research and essay writing time. My current studies are being undertaken on a full installation of KDE and although I feel a little flooded with all that is on offer there is not much tweaking needed and I can focus on my studies a little better .

Just my 5 cents worth....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I prefer only command line interface for education purpose.
    Nayab Basha Sayed
    Linux and Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

We needed something that was 'out of the way' while working and that had a small barrier of entry for people new to using Linux. We ended up using machines with Cinnamon, GNOME 3 and Unity, and let the user decide. Most people used Unity or Cinnamon.
    Ubuntu User #17241

Beans

Although I've retired, I continue to maintain my university Website, using Linux Mint with the Cinnamon DE. (Unity has just never appealed to me, although I've tried it several times.)

BTW, for Web work, I find the combination of Bluefish and Filezilla far more satisfactory to use than Dreamweaver, which I used to use before converting from Windows to Linux full time about 5 years ago.

As one interested in astronomy, mathematics, physics, and statistics, I'm quite happy using the Linux versions of Mathematica, R, and Stellarium. How I wish R had been around in my teaching days!