Thread: How do i change keyboard command the language (Shift+Alt)?

Beans

How do i change keyboard command the language (Shift+Alt)?

I just installed for my first time ubuntu and i barely have any idea what's going on i was mostly on Windows so i've registered in order to get some help.

Anyways here is my Questions:

1.How do i change the language by pressing Shift+Alt like it was on windows? I have set 2 languages over there.
    2.About Desktop Wallpapers on - windows 7 - you could put a folder of pictures and then the pictures would change automatically after x seconds.
    3.How do i make the left sidebar to stop showing up when i open the browser ? I mean i am browsing then if i move the point of the mouse on left corner it would show up the sidebar.
    4.Does ubuntu has got a Task Manager?
    5.Why does on google chrome some of the videos are stacking up on loading and when i run them on firefox they work?

Thanks for taking your time answering my questions
    Last edited by TheUninvited; February 24th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: How do i change keyboard command the language (Shift+Alt)?

Are you using the development cycle? 14.04 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

System Settings/Keyboard/Layout Settings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The first thing that you must understand is that Linux distributions like Ubuntu are not like windows. Do not expect them to work the same way as Windows. Now, if you click the power/cog icon on the right side of the top panel and select Ubuntu Help, you will load the Ubuntu Desktop Guide. That guide is a good place for someone new to start learning how to use Ubuntu.

1) Go to System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts>Typing and see the key combinations used in Ubuntu to switch installed keyboard layouts. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. If you are using something else then you must check for yourself

Super+Space will cycle through installed keyboard layouts. Super is what we call the key with the Windows logo on.

2) Go to System Settings>Appearance and you will see a selection of wallpapers. One of the them will be a wallpaper slide show. It is the wallpaper with the clock in the bottom right corner.

Also, notice the panel above the collection of default wallpapers. It says Wallpapers. Click the little downward pointing arrow and change the settings to Pictures Folder. Any images in the Pictures Folder will now become a Wallpapers.

3) We have only two options for the Launcher, a) Auto-Hide On and b) Auto-Hide Off. But we can change the Reveal Sensitivity and the Reveal Location. Set it to Top and you may find that the problem will not be so big.

4) What do you want a Device Manager to do? Ubuntu has several utilities that we can launch from the Dash. There are also utilities in System Settings.

5) I do not know. I do not use Chrome or Firefox.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 24th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    System Settings/Keyboard/Layout Settings
    thanks m8te for helping me out i appreciate it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The first thing that you must understand is that Linux distributions like Ubuntu are not like windows. Do not expect them to work the same way as Windows. Now, if you click the power/cog icon on the right side of the top panel and select Ubuntu Help, you will load the Ubuntu Desktop Guide. That guide is a good place for someone new to start learning how to use Ubuntu.

1) Go to System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts>Typing and see the key combinations used in Ubuntu to switch installed keyboard layouts. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. If you are using something else then you must check for yourself

Super+Space will cycle through installed keyboard layouts. Super is what we call the key with the Windows logo on.

2) Go to System Settings>Appearance and you will see a selection of wallpapers. One of the them will be a wallpaper slide show. It is the wallpaper with the clock in the bottom right corner.

Also, notice the panel above the collection of default wallpapers. It says Wallpapers. Click the little downward pointing arrow and change the settings to Pictures Folder. Any images in the Pictures Folder will now become a Wallpapers.

3) We have only two options for the Launcher, a) Auto-Hide On and b) Auto-Hide Off. But we can change the Reveal Sensitivity and the Reveal Location. Set it to Top and you may find that the problem will not be so big.

4) What do you want a Device Manager to do? Ubuntu has several utilities that we can launch from the Dash. There are also utilities in System Settings.

5) I do not know. I do not use Chrome or Firefox.

Regards.
    First of all thanks for helping me out.

About the 3# where is locateed this auto-hide on?

About the 4# i could see what programs are currently running and like it windows you can figure out if you have got any viruses.

New Question:
    Is there any way that i can learn easier the ubuntu system? it really takes times i mean even for installing is hard to me the codes drives me crazy on windows i could just double click the program it was installed and if i were to remove it it was easy but here in ubuntu is kind of difficult to me.

I like ubuntu when it opens faster and it does not take too much ram.But i am totally newbie.