Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: desktops etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: desktops etc.

Personally, instead of bloating up what you have, maybe download and install a fresh version.
    You can get one by clicking on the option up top that says "Ubuntu Community" and choosing one of the Get 'buntu's that are listed.

For you I would recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Lighter and easy, in their own ways.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Personally, instead of bloating up what you have, maybe download and install a fresh version.
    You can get one by clicking on the option up top that says "Ubuntu Community" and choosing one of the Get 'buntu's that are listed.

For you I would recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Lighter and easy, in their own ways.
    In 12.04 he can just log into Unity 2d if 3d doesn't work rather than installing xubuntu or lubuntu. But it seems that unity 3d does sort of work, only broken somehow.

Beans

Since it is 12.04, can you just open a terminal and type
    Code:
    unity --reset
    and logout/reboot
    and then reset the number of desktop in ccsm/unity tweak?

Beans

My thoughts were to find out by doing a clean install of a new desktop - we can determine
    if it is a graphics card problem or something else.

The install will show a few things ......... and quick and efficiently .....

1 ..... That the system itself is ok ............. ( no errors reported back on install )

2 ..... If errors are reported back - we will get a better understanding of what may be wrong.
    ( no need to install if it shows errors - we can start fixing them ........... )

3 ..... If it installs as planned ..... at least the OP will have some sanity back in posting easily again.

if unity --reset works .......... then that is simpler ............ would agree ,
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; February 24th, 2014 at 12:09 AM.

Beans

My goodness, am I confused now....
    I don't want to add a new desktop, I have more than enough now.............. I just want the original Ubuntu (my original one!) that was put on my computer about 10 years back... So easy, so great, no problems at all.... bliss... & no, I don't know what version I had then.

My husband has a Samsung tablet that has windows on it, I was having trouble with the browser, Internet Ezplorer, not having the tool bars on it... daughter googled it & lots were having trouble with this too...after trying all they said, I gave up & downloaded Firefox.... problem fixed...

So I dearly hope to do the same thing here... Keep it simple sweetheart.... Can you help me do this?

Beans

Reset unity as in my post #33, then reset the number of desktop to see if it works. If not then logout and from the login screen choose unity 2d, may be you would like it.

It seems to be the most painless way to go about it as you don't need to install anything new.

Beans

Ok..... I did what you said Monkeybrain just don't know how to do the last bit
    and then reset the number of desktop in ccsm/unity tweak?

Confusion in the household so please reply & I will try it when I get back on....
    I am not ignoring you either 23dornot23 will complete monkeybrains first eh...

Thanks heaps you are great.... Just got to go as family calls... Ta muchly so far

Beans

Ok, never mind. I don't remember 12.04, maybe its default was 4 desktops? In newer Ubuntus the default is one and originally you said you have 13.04 so I assume you have used ccsm to make 4.

Beans

here is how you log into Unity2d if reset still doesn't work
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/74300...-into-unity-2d

Beans

Ok monkeybrain I am back......

I have done everything except 'reset the number of desktop in ccsm/unity tweak?'

How do I do this please??....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast