Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320: an Ubuntu's problematic installation

Beans

Re: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7320: an Ubuntu's problematic installation

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I think you should try 14.04 now.
    I think Andrea prefers Lubuntu and I've not yet seen an announcement regarding whether Lubuntu will go for LTS status in Trusty.

I blew up my Ubuntu Trusty + flashback w/metacity just by changing the resolution so I'm looking at other options regarding VIA P4M800 graphics and it really does look rather glum

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Trying 14.04 could be done in a live boot. We don't need a full install.

I have:
    http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/1...-goes-lts.html
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Trying 14.04 could be done in a live boot. We don't need a full install.

I have:
    http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/1...-goes-lts.html
    That's great news

I'm going to try the daily on my VIA P4M800 box today.

Beans

I tried the Lubuntu 14.04 daily image from here:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...4423/downloads

And I think it's definitely worth a try.

I did however encounter one problem that I'll have to try and figure out, actually this also effected Ubuntu Trusty flashback w/metacity;

The default resolution is 1366x768 on my 18.5 LCD display but I prefer 1280x720. When I change to my desired resolution I get only a blank screen

But I'd think if the default resolution for your display is correct this may be worth a try.

I'll have to ask some questions in Ubuntu +1 about this new Gallium via llvmpipe driver because I'm a real dummy when it comes to Xorg

Edit: I started a thread here to learn how to deal with that blank screen thing after changing resolutions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2210695
    Last edited by kansasnoob; March 12th, 2014 at 03:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    Hi to Everybody!

First of all, I still haven't done yet a thing: thanks for the help!
    (even if we will not be successful!!)

Well, I would be interested in a new installation via OBI, at the very least I will have learnt something new...

At this time, Bodhi in this laptop is more stable than Xubuntu, but also Bodhi freezes and I've just discovered another strangeness in both the OSs: the clock remains back.

The backup battery is new and ntp service is running (sudo service ntp status), but after a while the watch stops...

So, the actual situation is not so good, therefore if you say that OBi is not so hard to apply, I can try: all my personal datas are in XP partition!!

Maybe this could be interesting also for many other people that could feel this passage not so easy...

Or, in alternative, we could wait for Lubuntu 14.04....

Please, tell me what you think!

(this would be the 21th installation on this poor laptop )
    Yes, we can try. I think the best thing would be that you start by reading the documents at the following web sites

One Button Installer, 'OBI'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

OBI quick start manual file

General description file

README file,

and then we can agree on some date/time when we can chat, which gives faster feed-back (and progress).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes, we can try. I think the best thing would be that you start by reading the documents at the following web sites

One Button Installer, 'OBI'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

OBI quick start manual file

General description file

README file,

and then we can agree on some date/time when we can chat, which gives faster feed-back (and progress).
    Sorry but I don't like it!

In fact I wish Lubuntu would drop the alternate images.

I get the feeling sometimes that we're trying to be Puppy, but Puppy does that well enough on there own:

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Sorry but I don't like it!

In fact I wish Lubuntu would drop the alternate images.

I get the feeling sometimes that we're trying to be Puppy, but Puppy does that well enough on there own:

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm
    This way (with the OBI) it is possible to install 'your' Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks without needing the horsepower for Unity, because you need not install standard Ubuntu. This way I have installed Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks in an old Compaq with Pentium II at 400 MHz and 128 MB RAM. It did not run happily, but when I increased RAM to 192 MB, it was possible to run. Now that is a limit case, but it should work fairly well in stilnovo1's computer.

So I think the OBI offers a possibility to install systems, that will work, but might get stuck during the installation, if you go along the conventional road (the desktop installer).

-o-

I agree that Puppy and other ultra-light-weight distros are good alternatives when there is not enough horsepower or memory for 'Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks', but those are rather primitive, and a last resort.

@stilnovo1

As you see there are different ideas about what would work best for you. kansasnoob and mörgæs have suggested other alternatives. Both of them have more experience than I in general and kansasnoob particularly about your kind of graphics card, so I can fully understand if you listen to their advice ...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi to All!

Well, I know myself: I'm curious and I like to learn.

Actually:

- we still don't have the final Lubuntu 14.04 version but the iso testing images --> so, the installation would be temporary, today

- for me, OBI would be an experiment from which to learn something new, although I don't find this way so easy for the skills I have now

- the two installed Ubuntu's based OSs don't work both very well, so in any case I will substitute them with... Win 7?... just kidding!!

- jokes aside, I'd like to shift them with Lubuntu 14.04 (LTS!!)

So:

- I hope to download and install in this week end the Lubuntu iso testing images from the link provided by kansanoob: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...4423/downloads --> in this case I will overwrite Xubuntu and, at the moment, I will keep the more stable Bodhi Linux for pragmatic reasons

- I will read the links provided by sudodus regarding OBI --> really, I've already read the texts of those links, I hope to better understand their content now, after having learnt more things thanks to you all!

Yes, it is useless to deny it: if it will work, it would have more appeal for me the 'traditional' installation... anyway now I want at least to understand the OBI method.

I have installed Xubuntu 12.04 starting from alternate iso, so without a working DE... I've also tried the mini-iso image, which is also DE-less... so the DE hasn't interfered during the installation, am I right?

OK, ready for the 21st installation. Next stop: Lubuntu 14.04 testing iso!
    Last edited by stilnovo1; March 13th, 2014 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

we still don't have the final Lubuntu 14.04 version but the iso testing images --> so, the installation would be temporary, today
    Unless the OS breaks you should be able to just keep applying updates and end up with the final

There was one time that the release notes mentioned the need to edit one file manually so it's always a good idea to read the release announcement and release notes.

When you're ready to install be sure to check the installation media for defects, then try the live session just to see if it seems to work, but on lower resource machines I always reboot and choose install from initial boot menu - this just seems to work better for me

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    Hi to All!

Well, I know myself: I'm curious and I like to learn.

Actually:

- we still don't have the final Lubuntu 14.04 version but the iso testing images --> so, the installation would be temporary, today

- for me, OBI would be an experiment from which to learn something new, although I don't find this way so easy for the skills I have now
    - I hope to download and install in this week end the Lubuntu iso testing images from the link provided by kansanoob: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...4423/downloads --> in this case I will overwrite Xubuntu and, at the moment, I will keep the more stable Bodhi Linux for pragmatic reasons

- I will read the links provided by sudodus regarding OBI --> really, I've already read the texts of those links, I hope to better understand their content now, after having learnt more things thanks to you all!
    Good luck with Lubuntu Trusty, and if you want to try the OBI afterwards, just let me know

-o-

Right now I'm building a lighter Lubuntu Core Trusty system from the mini.iso. If it works well, I'll upload it for installation via the OBI.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast