Thread: unable to login to new install of ubuntu12.04 lts

Beans

unable to login to new install of ubuntu12.04 lts

I have purchased a new computer as old mother board died. Old home- desktop was stored in a new partition on the original hard drive to save settings and installed a new download of Ubuntu 12.04 lts When installing I set login to auto ! When finished install and rebooted I am asked for a password and it will not accept my root password but i am able to log on as a guest! Can anyone help how to solve this problem? In simple terms please as I'm a beginner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: unable to login to new install of ubuntu12.04 lts

Hi,

Make sure that you are logging in with your user password that you setup during the install process, and not your root password.

Beans

Hi
    Thanks ubdog But as I recall when auto was selected no password was asked for!!
    lets

Beans

possibly the same issue as here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2207361

Beans

Hi steeldriver
    Thanks for your reply. Indeed it is the same issue! My son if far more computer savvy than I am and the link referred to has been put on by my son.
    Once again thanks for your response
    Lets

Beans

Hi steeldriver
    Thanks for your response. I tried the solution suggested in the above link, without success. when "ls -al /home" was entered it went to "password." but I couldn't enter a password and it simply went back to "lawrie-desktop login:"!
    Have you any other ideas?
    Regards
    lets

Beans

it sounds like you just typed the command at the login prompt? you need to login at that prompt by typing your username and then (when prompted) your password... then type the command