Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am about to give up! Its just so hard.

Beans

I am about to give up! Its just so hard.

Well I thought I was pretty smart but this OS has proved me wrong. I am running 13.10 and am having no luck with anything really. I cant seem to figure the terminal out despite following others exact instructions. What is it that I am missing? For example I am trying to install GCCG http://gccg.sourceforge.net/ and I follow all the instructions and just well....nothing! What is my problem. Any help would be appreciated, I really like this OS better than windows but cant figure it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I am about to give up! Its just so hard.

blossomrevane; Hi ! Welcome to the forum .

Do not be so hard on yourself, It takes time and effort to learn any new operating system !
    The install directions look pretty easy, did you, from this
    Install SDL, SDL_image, SDL_net, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer using your distribution's package manager (i.e. apt, yum, yast etc...)
    do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install SDL
    sudo apt-get install SDL_image
    ##and so on ##
    where apt is 'buntu's package manager and "apt-get" gets the requested package and the option "install" well, installs it. In linux case is sensitive, SDL does not equal sdl. Did you use the proper case ?

If the above completes, how far are you getting before there is a problem. describe in detail, most of us have never encountered the program or the installation procedure. Post back - between code tags - any errors you get. - the complete command/output.

and hey, this is ubuntu
    all things are possible
    Last edited by Bashing-om; February 23rd, 2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Welcome !
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Well usually I am getting messages that say it cant locate or find package.

blossom@GlaDos:~$ sudo apt-get install SDL
    [sudo] password for blossom:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package SDL

It seems to do this for most everything that I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please use code tags to post the output -> Go Advanced, click # and paste it inside.

Now, the installation... Let me say you couldn't have picked a worse type of installation. Even some experts will have troubles with this ( Naah, not really, but it takes a lot of steps - and lots of dependencies - even before you can start compiling the actual software you want). Example: You may have to start with this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/34451...ries-in-ubuntu
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro

blossomrevane; Well !

That is no fault to you. The package IS NOT available in the 13.10 repository.
    sysop@1310mini:~$ sudo apt-get -s install SDL
    [sudo] password for sysop:
    Building dependency tree
    sysop@1310mini:~$
    I also did a "search" of the repository, negative results there too.
    You must consult the author of the game console and see what the author advises for a means to obtain the required packages.
    If the packages have not been forwarded to ubuntu's repository, then they are not available within the package management system.

It is possible that they "may" be added at a later time, but do not hold your breath. Takes a lot of testing to be admissable to the repository, and it is possible that these packages failed for some reason .

Talk to the author ! They will often make things right.

When all else fails
    go to the source

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by blossomrevane View Post
    Well usually I am getting messages that say it cant locate or find package.

blossom@GlaDos:~$ sudo apt-get install SDL
    [sudo] password for blossom:
    Building dependency tree

It seems to do this for most everything that I do.
    That's because the packages are not named as you see them at the GCCG site. IF you are not using Synaptic as a GUI package manager I suggest you install it
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Then search for the term. For example SDL_image is packaged as libsdl-image . The instructions at the GCCG site are vague at best.
    Last edited by bab1; February 23rd, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
    -BAB1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    blossomrevane; Well !

That is no fault to you. The package IS NOT available in the 13.10 repository.

I also did a "search" of the repository, negative results there too.
    You must consult the author of the game console and see what the author advises for a means to obtain the required packages.
    If the packages have not been forwarded to ubuntu's repository, then they are not available within the package management system.

It is possible that they "may" be added at a later time, but do not hold your breath. Takes a lot of testing to be admissable to the repository, and it is possible that these packages failed for some reason .

Talk to the author ! They will often make things right.

When all else fails
    go to the source

Well that is good to know I was literally losing it! Although I am having many similar problems with a lot of programs that aren't in the software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by blossomrevane View Post
    Well that is good to know I was literally losing it! Although I am having many similar problems with a lot of programs that aren't in the software center.
    Until you feel comfortable avoid anything that has to so with compiling; if possible avoid installing software that isn't in the Software Center.
    However, if you really can't go without a given software and you're aware of the increased risks then using a PPA if available is quite easy. Usually with just 3 commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:softwareimcravingfor/andimnotalone
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mybelovedsoftware
    Any other specific software giving you headaches? Feel free to post here. Chances are that someone already gone that same road and might have an easier solution.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro

blossomrevane; Hey,

What others are you having problems with ? If you are attempting to duplicate Windows programs in linux, you will have a bit of a problem, there are some that there just are no alternatives.

To install applications in ubuntu, the repository is always the 1st source, then a trusted PPA (Personal Package Archive), and then there is from source.Many of the most used applications in the software world are available in the repository, 43,000+ are there at the click of a button .
    To install from source does entail a fairly deep understanding of the operating system as a whole, now-a-days it is a rarity to have to resort to having to do so.

But, it is open source
    where there is a will there is a way

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    Until you feel comfortable avoid anything that has to so with compiling; if possible avoid installing software that isn't in the Software Center.
    However, if you really can't go without a given software and you're aware of the increased risks then using a PPA if available is quite easy. Usually with just 3 commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:softwareimcravingfor/andimnotalone
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mybelovedsoftware
    Any other specific software giving you headaches? Feel free to post here. Chances are that someone already gone that same road and might have an easier solution.
    I am going to take your advice =) By the way Hitchens is the greatest R.I.P.

I am not going to give up on linux I actually love it! But wow its making me feel so dumb lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast