Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Two Kernel Updates?

Beans

Re: Why Two Kernel Updates?

This system must have upgraded to 3.5.0 on it's own as I didn't install that kernel?

I did a clean install the other day for a friend using 12.04.4 and that one has 3.11.0 in it by default? So if 3.5.0 isn't LTS then I can upgrade to 3.11.0 can't I?

Beans

You can install 3.11.0 by installing the metapackage linux-generic-lts-saucy. I've been using it for almost two months on Ubuntu 12.04.

For more details see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Has your original problem been solved?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Kernels 3.2; 3.5; 3.8; 3.11 they are all available in 12.04 repositories.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
    Has your original problem been solved?
    Well actually no. I haven't uninstalled the 3.2.0 kernel yet. I've got to talk myself into it as this is one of those "first time" deals for me. Will probably do that tonight when I go in the house and get on that computer. Right now I'm out in my garage on another system.

Once I've successfully done that I'll mark this thread solved. If something goes wrong then I'll probably be back in here looking for help to fix it.

Thanks

EDIT: If I go to synaptic and try to install 3.11.0 will it automatically install the rest of the stuff needed to make it work?
    Last edited by Akacheebe; February 24th, 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Akacheebe View Post
    If I go to synaptic and try to install 3.11.0 will it automatically install the rest of the stuff needed to make it work?
    Yes. The only package you need to explicitly install is "linux-generic-lts-saucy".

Beans

Kernel 3.2.0 is now officially gone and I've successfully rebooted twice. Only one listed now is 3.5.0-46 which was installed last week. Maybe try the 3.11.0 upgrade tomorrow but will start another thread if I have problems. Thanks guys!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Op make sure you have linux-generic installed.

see link in sig below to remove old kernels.

Step 6. Do the dry run first off course.
    I've got a question about this one line old kernel removal tool in your signature. As you know from the last post I made I did an upgrade to 3.11.0-17 on my 3 desktop systems but was waiting for an upgrade to -18 before I ran the command to remove all the 3.5.0 kernel stuff. Well, today that -18 kernel update showed up so I ran the old kernel removal command in terminal and next thing I know, this computer was upgrading the 3.5.0 kernal before it was going to remove it??? It said it was going to download 53MB of updates for 3.5.0 before it uninstalled it??? Having see that I just closed the terminal and stopped it!!

This kinda seems dumb to me as I'm wasting bandwidth for an upgrade that will be removed 10 minutes later??

Am I missing something here??

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

One-line kernel revomal tools aren't that smart. I think you got updates for both the 3.11 and 3.5 kernels at the same time, so you just started upgrading both, intending to remove the 3.5 kernel immediately afterwards. You can order your system to upgrade just the 3.11 kernel instead of applying all upgrades and then remove the 3.5 kernel. I can't think of any oneliners to do that. Besides, it seems this kernel removal oneliner removes all old kernels. I always keep one, just to be sure. Killing the upgrade process can lead to problems, but I think you killed it during the download phase, which should be fine.

Beans

Impavidus thanks for your reply. You're right that it was going to update both the 3.11.0 and 3.5.0 kernels. That is why I ran that one line removal tool but like I said, next thing I know it's downloading 53MB of updates for the3.5.0?

Ennywho, I guess I can go in Synaptic and remove the 3.5.0 stuff one by one and see how that works since I've install the 3.11.0-18 kernel and still have -17 as a backup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123