Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The punched cards were used when I learned Algol (a programming language similar to C) at college. It did not make me happy, I hated the long waiting time between each attempt to run between the debugging sessions ...
    I was doing FORTRAN back then. Someone would forget the END card on their deck; so, your deck would go back in the queue again. Another long wait for some vague error message. Did you number your cards or draw a diagonal line down the side of the deck so you could get them back in proper order if you dropped them?

Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; February 27th, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    I had used Windows 3.1 and the early Mac OS , but Windows 95 was when I got more into computers . Windows 98 SE was my favorite though it was such a great OS . I miss the classic look of Windows 98 SE and Windows 95 anybody else feel the same ?
    IMHO, those were the bad old days of Windows. Back before Windows had reasonable security and a reasonably secure unix style user account system (like UAC), and it lacked protected memory, so any bad memory request from a program would bring down the entire OS with a blue screen, rather than just crash the offending buggy program. Those were the dark ages.

I originally got my start with the Commodore 64, and later DOS based PC's, but back in these days I dual booted Windows 2000 as my main OS, and had Windows 98SE installed just for games.

Slightly later I discovered Linux, and by the late 90's I had replaced Windows 2000 with desktop Red Hat. A few years later the combo was Desktop Gentoo Linux and Windows XP for games. Eventually I migrated to Ubuntu, and then moved on to Mint when Unity became the default window manager.

These days I'm on Mint 16 (Cinnamon) for most things, and dual boot into Windows 7 whenever I get the gaming itch (which is less and less frequent)

I hate the fact that I have to dual boot all the time, and I'm hoping that the Linux based SteamOS will be a huge success, so that future titles will all be released for the Linux platform, and I can get rid of my Windows install once and for all.
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    I was doing FORTRAN back then. Someone would forget the END card on their deck; so, your deck would go back in the queue again. Another long wait for some vague error message. Did you number your cards or draw a diagonal line down the side of the deck so you could get them back in proper order if you dropped them?

The first language I used was a dialect of Fortran that was designed for port-a-punch cards. Messy things, those cards, sometimes with chads dropping out at inopportune moments, and other times the cards getting jammed (and mangled) in the card readers.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Nope I do not miss Win 98. It did have some nice backgrounds as such. They put more in that way as Win 98 never did have a Plus Pack for it. Win 95 and Win XP had plus packs and they were cool. But I have almost completely switched to Ubuntu. We have a comp at work that runs Win 3.1. It is used on an engraver. It's an old IBM 486 I believe. Dustier than all get out. It's left running 24/7.
    Why aren't you on #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net?
    Answers and Howtos

Beans
    Hidden!

Well... Sheldon Cooper is falling back in love with Windows 98. But still, Ubuntu is his favorite Linux-based operative system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I miss MS DOS and PC DOS. My favourite command is fdisk and format c:/s.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by farrinux View Post
    Nope I do not miss Win 98. It did have some nice backgrounds as such. They put more in that way as Win 98 never did have a Plus Pack for it. Win 95 and Win XP had plus packs and they were cool. But I have almost completely switched to Ubuntu. We have a comp at work that runs Win 3.1. It is used on an engraver. It's an old IBM 486 I believe. Dustier than all get out. It's left running 24/7.
    Funny you mention a engraver.. I just have to ask, are you using a benchmark engraver? Because that's what we're using our 98 box for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Nope...I do miss KDE 3.0 and Linspire.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The punched cards were used when I learned Algol (a programming language similar to C) at college. It did not make me happy, I hated the long waiting time between each attempt to run between the debugging sessions

Punched cards had 80 positions. Each card represented a text line with max 80 characters (of programming code or input data) and they were stacked in card readers.
    If you mixed the cards up, you had to start all over. My first class in collage with punch cards was called "Data Processing". My goodness...that was a long time ago.
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Wilson View Post
    If you mixed the cards up, you had to start all over. My first class in collage with punch cards was called "Data Processing". My goodness...that was a long time ago.
    This is why columns 72-80 were reserved for sequence numbers. You just had to sort you card deck again (and there were programs for that)

The favorite prank in our school was a stack of cards that started a job to read whatever cards followed (usually the job of an unsuspecting student), and to repunch them with the right characters, so that when held against the light the stack of cards would show a p*n*s. Seasoned students learned to start their stack with an end-of-job card. Ah, the fun you could have with 8K or ferrite core RAM!
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast