Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Thread moved to The Cafe.

Beans

get debian 6
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This thread made me laugh, as we are still using Windows 98 on a stand alone workstation here. I have picture proof to boot. This machine is used to etch part numbers onto aluminum and stainless materials. The software used is 16 bit.

The machine is a gateway something or other and obviously, judging by the picture, we're using the same old CRT monitor it came with also.

So I don't feel nostalgic, I use windows 98 every single day.

Obviously, it has not seen the internet since about 2002 or so and it's not connected to our LAN or anything.

As far as stability goes, it runs it's software all day every day and we usually leave it on all week and shut it down on friday nights only.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I saw a thread the other day where some poor guy's graphic was broken and he complained that his ubuntu gnome ended up looking like Windows ME. I was tempted to tell him that someone would go out of their ways to make their system look like that with a link to this thread and he achieved it with no work, but I resisted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by estamets View Post
    This thread made me laugh, as we are still using Windows 98 on a stand alone workstation here. I have picture proof to boot. This machine is used to etch part numbers onto aluminum and stainless materials. The software used is 16 bit.

The machine is a gateway something or other and obviously, judging by the picture, we're using the same old CRT monitor it came with also.

So I don't feel nostalgic, I use windows 98 every single day.

Obviously, it has not seen the internet since about 2002 or so and it's not connected to our LAN or anything.

As far as stability goes, it runs it's software all day every day and we usually leave it on all week and shut it down on friday nights only.
    You should keep it running 24/24, it's the stresses induced by the power-on that kill them. And when any of this hardware dies, you'll have a lot of trouble finding a replacement one that runs Win98. Think about upgrading before it becomes an emergency.
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was involved with a piece of electronics gear a few years ago. The diagnostic and programming was done via software that needed to be able to read and write directly to system memory, no HAL or similar allowed. The shop had an old Toshiba laptop running Win98. I don't know if DOS would have worked or not. It also needed a 9 pin serial cable. The piece of gear had been discontinued for a few years so I don't know if there was alternative software (DOS?) developed or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair amount of gear that requires DOS/Win 9X still in service.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You should take a look at ZorinOS LXDE, it has a Windowsish 98 look to it. You might want to try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Not a chance even though I use a CLI more than I use GUI I still prefer a nice snazzy looking desktop environment. Also the USB support for win 98 was not excellent in my opinion but then again that was 16 years ago ohh how much have computer technology has developed

Beans

I have a 98 partition/disk on all my windows computers and dual boot, all except my newest box that is.. I use these partitions as rescue partitions. Still format using Fat32 although a little while ago I came across a driver which will allows DOS partitions to r/w to ntfs partitions so I might try it out soon on my new box which is formatted NTFS. That's if 98 will run on it???.
    Last edited by AussiePete; February 27th, 2014 at 05:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair amount of gear that requires DOS/Win 9X still in service.
    Probably; it wasn't but about 3-4 years ago my work got rid of a sign-cutting machine that was controlled by a computer running Windows 3.1. These companies are all the same; you call and ask about upgraded software for the machine and they want like $10k+ just for the software & drivers. Of course they'll sell you a new machine for just a couple thousand more and throw in the software for free... :-/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast