Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

Everyone talks about W95; W98, so and old and very NOT NOT stable Windows millenium, i just loved. LOL

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
    Here's an example of a "card deck" to copy a file (the equivalent of using the "cp" command"):

Code:
    //jobname  JOB
    //*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
    //* IEBGENER: JCL to copy one file to another file on DASD volume
    //*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
    //COPYF  EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
    //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
    //SYSUT1   DD DSN=input_file_name,DISP=SHR
    //SYSUT2   DD DSN=output_file_name,DISP=(,CATLG),
    //            VOL=SER=volser,
    //            SPACE=(TRK,(xx,xx),RLSE)
    //SYSIN    DD DUMMY
    //SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*
    //*
    IEBGENER - the name of the stored procedure
    JCL - Job Control Language
    DASD - Direct Access Storage Device, aka disk drive (but in those days they were the size of small refrigerators)

I've read that the Linux "dd" command gets its name from the JCL DD (Data Definition) command, which it resembles.
    Nice to get the history of dd, our loved 'data definition' or hated 'disk destroyer'

Beans
    Hidden!

Every time I typed "Win", I lose.
    If you can't find an answer at Google, you must be typing in Braille.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The punched cards were used when I learned Algol (a programming language similar to C) at college. It did not make me happy, I hated the long waiting time between each attempt to run between the debugging sessions

Punched cards had 80 positions. Each card represented a text line with max 80 characters (of programming code or input data) and they were stacked in card readers.
    I still have a box (or two) of them. Fortran programs: 1" stack, Assembler: 4", Cobol: 8 - 18"

I also have a machine at work still running W95.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I suppose the look was clean, and it may be kind of retro-cool -- think of it on a steampunk-themed machine, for instance.

I remember crashing it regularly just running a word processor, too.

But I remember the OS name as Effing-Windows, not Windows 98...

Beans

I have a vague memory that Windows 98 first offered usb support for windows, although I am ready to be corrected, as always
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    Anybody know of any Windows 98 or Windows 95 themes for xfce ? It would be cool to have my os looking like Windows 98 or Windows 95 .
    Redmond is the name you're looking for.

For the full effect: in the Appearance window, set the Gtk theme to Redmond and disable images on buttons (under the Settings tab), then go into the window manager settings and choose Redmond there too. The various tweaks necessary to make the panel appear at the bottom of the screen and act like the Windows 98 taskbar are fairly obvious, right down to changing "Applications Menu" to "Start". Of course it's easy to make icons on the desktop and call them My Computer, Recycle Bin etc.

It's still not quite right... the fonts are wrong, for one, although those were mostly themeable in W98 so you could argue that point. I also don't think Windows 98 had antialiasing in window decorations.

All the icons are still wrong, of course, but there's only so much you can do... perhaps you could obtain a 98-esque icon set somewhere. But maybe that's going to extremes.

My desktop pretty much works exactly like Windows 98. I have it themed in a way I find more pleasant to look at, and there's the workspace switcher on the right side of the panel, but by and large it hasn't needed to change much. I use what works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i had an extremely stable win98 SE. no crahses nothing. it got one infection but was cleaned. everythign was fine until i deleted soem sytsem files i thought were onyl temporary files.

reinstall was never working so good.

anyway - it got an upgrade to winxp and when that died (still not sure why it dies..). it now has Kubuntu
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

The first couple years I did tech support was for a network that was about 80% windows 98. Any good feelings I had towards it were thoroughly purged by that experience.

That said, you may want to look into FVWM95. I think it's still in the repos.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast