Thread: Free software has a buy button. Googling turned up a bug report. Mine still has this.

Beans

Free software has a buy button. Googling turned up a bug report. Mine still has this.

Hello:

My software center previously had "download" buttons. Now it only has prices and "buy" buttons. All the software that are free, and say in bold "Free", have a Buy link. I have 12.10
    I googled this and found a bug on the ubunto bug report website so I know it's not supposed to be that way.
    I have recently connected to a better mirror, downloaded a lot of updates, but I still have this problem.
    What I really want is youtube -dl. I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Free software has a buy button. Googling turned up a bug report. Mine still has t

Apple has (had? It's been awhile since I used it) something similar - you just pay zero for free items... but you still need to go through the "purchase" process.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Re: Free software has a buy button. Googling turned up a bug report. Mine still has t

I don't use the software centre, it is slow, confusing and lacking in useful features. I always use synaptic.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    youtube-dl (note: no space) updates every few days to keep up with Youtube changes, so I wouldn't get it from the repo (it is in my Saucy's repo and dated aug 2013.I am sure it doesn't work) Just get it from its own website and update manually.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 20th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unless the bug is a security risk, they aren't going to fix it at this point.
    12.10 goes end of life sometime when 14.04 comes out.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks so much!! You people are awesome!!
    I will certainly take this advice and use Synaptic in the future. I just downloaded it from the youtube-dl website.