Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSH X-11 Port Forwarding on Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

SSH X-11 Port Forwarding on Mac

I've got a MacBook Pro and I was wondering how to X-11 Port forward via SSH from my ubuntu 12.04 lts server? On my Windows laptop i had to download X-ming to handle the port forwarding. Do I have to do that as well on the Mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: SSH X-11 Port Forwarding on Mac

since OSX has a similar bash shell, you just need to enable the ssh switch for x11 forwarding, which i believe is
    Code:
    ssh -X user@ip
    Found this on the googles for ya: http://dyhr.com/2009/09/05/how-to-en...-os-x-leopard/

Beans
    Distro

For when I specify the port would it be?
    Code:
    ssh -x -p xxxx user@ip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Normally it is port 22, which is the default. If you have not gone out of your way to change the port on the OS X machine you can leave that part off when you connect. It will then look for the standard port.

Beans
    Distro

I connect to my server outside of the network so I changed the port to a different one for security purposes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Use the port that you configure for sshd then, if it is non standard. But be sure to use the capital X instead of lowercase x, they mean different things. The capital X enables X11 forwarding. I'm not sure how many applications will work with X any more on OS X. You may have to tunnel VNC.

Edit: going from the Ubuntu machine to the OS X machine should be fine as-is.
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; February 20th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Vnc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry. I got confused as to the direction. Running programs on the Ubuntu machine and displaying them on the OSX machine should work fine using X11 forwarding. VNC is a clumpier method of displaying remote graphics. But it is insecure, so it has to be tunneled over SSH if used. It's probably not relevant here since X11 should work. If there is a lot of network latency the program can feel sluggish though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You've got it right with -p for port, and as Lars mentioned, it needs to be X, not x

Beans

Why mess with the port? By default, the ports match up. I would only move the port if something is exposed to the outside world.

You want XQuartz on your Mac, and you also might want to look at homebrew for the Mac.

XQuartz is the best X server I know of for the Mac. Pretty much zero configuration on your part.

Homebrew http://brew.sh is a bunch of open source software for your Mac, it has a package manager built-in. Everything is installed in a single directory then symbolically linked to directories in your PATH. There is an easy script to uninstall, and it works.

I do this all the time. You just ssh -X <your_linux_box_ip> and then firefox or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast