Thread: Smirched character redux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smirched character redux

I seem to have run into ventrical's smirched character problem. It started after the compiz updates over the last couple of days. I was using the nvidia-331 binary driver, and I've also tried nvidia-331-updates, and the problem hasn't been solved. I'm currently running the nouveau driver, but I very occasionally get a hard lockup, that only a cold reboot will solve.

This installation was fresh when the toolchain was uploaded, and I was hoping to run it all the way through this development cycle, but I am willing to create a new install on another partition just to see if it is because of kruftiness on the original installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: Smirched character redux

For all I know this is a bug in Chromium/Chrome not Compiz/Unity. There are several people on Arch Linux with the same problem.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...etail?id=55458

Beans
    Hidden!

My fonts display as advertised but since yesterdays fresh install I have random smirches without chromium.I use nvidia-331 from xedgers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

My smirching is coming strictly on firefox. Thanks for sharing you guys. I see that you are both using different browsers so it is not a ff problem or intel graphics only problem.

My problem install was an original saucy salamander and then uploaded the toolchain. Kept it original but had to re-install (without the format option) and the kept the 'smirching' still prevalent. I did a fresh install on the same machine (with nVidia 210/218) nouveau and so I will be keeping an eye on it.

regards..

btw .. It seems that the smirching comes when you magnify the screen using Ctrl + Shift + '+'. It takes soem time to show up . It is very capricious and often disappears when you scroll it out or de-magnify. I would guess compiz or other.. not drivers , ff of google.
    Last edited by ventrical; February 20th, 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I had the problem with everything including osd notifications, it didn't matter what application I opened, it was there on synaptic, qbittorrent, thunderbird, chromium-browser or firefox. even the terminal. The problem is moot now, as the hard drive that my home partition was located on decided to take a dump, so I'll have to do a fresh install on another drive, and yes I did a backup last night before starting troubleshoot the problem.