Thread: Smirched character redux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smirched character redux

I seem to have run into ventrical's smirched character problem. It started after the compiz updates over the last couple of days. I was using the nvidia-331 binary driver, and I've also tried nvidia-331-updates, and the problem hasn't been solved. I'm currently running the nouveau driver, but I very occasionally get a hard lockup, that only a cold reboot will solve.

This installation was fresh when the toolchain was uploaded, and I was hoping to run it all the way through this development cycle, but I am willing to create a new install on another partition just to see if it is because of kruftiness on the original installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: Smirched character redux

For all I know this is a bug in Chromium/Chrome not Compiz/Unity. There are several people on Arch Linux with the same problem.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...etail?id=55458

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My fonts display as advertised but since yesterdays fresh install I have random smirches without chromium.I use nvidia-331 from xedgers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

My smirching is coming strictly on firefox. Thanks for sharing you guys. I see that you are both using different browsers so it is not a ff problem or intel graphics only problem.

My problem install was an original saucy salamander and then uploaded the toolchain. Kept it original but had to re-install (without the format option) and the kept the 'smirching' still prevalent. I did a fresh install on the same machine (with nVidia 210/218) nouveau and so I will be keeping an eye on it.

regards..

btw .. It seems that the smirching comes when you magnify the screen using Ctrl + Shift + '+'. It takes soem time to show up . It is very capricious and often disappears when you scroll it out or de-magnify. I would guess compiz or other.. not drivers , ff of google.
    Last edited by ventrical; February 20th, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I had the problem with everything including osd notifications, it didn't matter what application I opened, it was there on synaptic, qbittorrent, thunderbird, chromium-browser or firefox. even the terminal. The problem is moot now, as the hard drive that my home partition was located on decided to take a dump, so I'll have to do a fresh install on another drive, and yes I did a backup last night before starting troubleshoot the problem.