Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

I know, of course, there are plenty of root programs running on the computer. Indeed, top will show that.
    I was thinking of user installed programs, from other sources than the repositories, possibly from not to be trusted sources.
    Something unusual has happened here, files are written in /root, where this should not happen.
    Klunker knows best whether this is possible or not.
    I did not succeed checking whether a bug is reported for this, as is for the similar .goutstream problem, that I mentioned.

If I remember correctly Klunker listens to or downloads music files. Maybe that caused the problem some way or the other.
    No accusation, just wondering

Topsiho

Beans

.........and we`re back! Hah...Good work Guys! I deleted the file and got this...

The "f" command came back as invalid.

I took a chance and rebooted... regular desktop has returned! Music is still intact too Everything seems to have returned to normal functionality. As for what I might have done to cause this...I think it had to be the "Bleachbit" program (which is still there) and has a "Bleachbit as Root " setting...that would have been the only thing I ever would have installed that would have access to the Root. What`s going to be the best way to get that and the unused stuff off of it? Thanks sooo much!

Beans
    Distro

Great. Congratulations

If you have bleachbit from the repositories, it should be OK, I guess.
    I would say: try and use Bleachbit, and see whether new files are created in /root when you do so, and not when you don' t.
    Thanks to Bash-om we now know how to check this. And now, how to get rid of them.
    Giving root privileges to any user program should be done with the utmost care, however. I just would say: NOT.
    The purpose of Bleachit is just the opposite of creating unwanted files, though
    If you feel you need Bleachbit, then use it without giving the root privilege setting (and see whether then new files in /root are still being written or not ...)
    Otherwise: just uninstall it.

Topsiho
    Last edited by Topsiho; March 2nd, 2014 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

On webpage https://bugs.launchpad.net/bleachbit/+bug/1180863 I read in post #4:

" Bleachbit is the only thing running when I get this error. It is set to overwrite free space on /home/"user", /tmp and /root. Received the same error message again today after running Bleachbit as administrator."

I don' t understand what is meant with: " overwriting free space on ... /root". But if this is English, all free space in the mentioned directories are overwritten, and voila, the computer doesn' t work anymore. And we have your problem reconstructed

Topsiho

Beans

Hi Topsiho, Huh. Really all beyond me. I certainly don`t want to chance running Bleachbit again. What way would you suggest for me to remove unwanted items? Preferably from the normal desktop... Cheers, and thanks again for all your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Klunker; Great !

Let's do a proper looksee:
    Code:
    df -h
    [tired last night and missed the typo !]

@ Topsiho; totally agree it would behoove us to know the origin of those files - bleachkit is a most likely candidate.
    My thoughts on bleachkit -> causes more harm than it helps, there is nothing bleachkit does that can not be done "better" from the terminal. Admittedly bleachkit can have it uses, but must be applied with knowledge !

Doing the housework in 'buntu is simple and easy and when this situation is resolved to everyone's satisfaction, we All will have that discussion then. There just ain't nothing to it. just do it from time to time.

inquiring minds want to know
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro

If you installed bleachbit from the repositories, then either you remove it completely in Synaptic, or in the terminal with

sudo apt-get remove bleachbit

or better still

sudo apt-get purge bleachbit

for that removes the configuration of bleachbit too, see

man apt-get

for the details of the use of apt-get

I ==> guess <== that when you installed bleachbit from source, you should first find all files with 'bleachbit' in their names with, in the terminal:

locate bleachbit,

if necessary after

sudo updatedb (this updates the database of files present on your computer)

and removing the directories and files you find this way. But first wait for what advice the others give you, for I never did it this way myself ...

Topsiho

Beans

Hi, Here what I`ve got...

What do you think?

Beans
    Distro

I guess "all your free space has been overwritten" again.
    So you have to get rid of:

1) all the extra files in /root,
    2) Bleachbit, especially the executable, which probably is in /bin or /sbin, or /usr/bin or /usr/bin
    Look for /bin/bleachbit or /sbin/bleachbit or /usr/sbin/bleachbit or /usr/bin/bleachbit

You might first try and rename it, using sudo, before removing it definitely

Topsiho

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Klunker; yeah !

I agree with Topsiho's assessment !

We need to look once more at /root, with that "du" routine, see what is transpiring.

Need to get that "used" space down to - at a minimum - less than 85 %.

here we go
    again
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast