Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92

Thread: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavk, sland
    Beans
    9,417
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Quote Originally Posted by Klunker View Post
    but it still will not boot to desktop
    Does it boot to a command prompt?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Beans
    5

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Have you ever tried puppy linux ? It uses a lot less ram and hard drive space than lubuntu . It might be something to try . It is not as easy to use but it is super fast and works great .

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    37

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Does it boot to a command prompt?
    Yes, I can get to a command prompt...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavk, sland
    Beans
    9,417
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    So how does
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    as mentioned above work?

    After that please post (in CODE tags) the output from
    Code:
    df -m
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    37

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    So how does
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    as mentioned above work?

    After that please post (in CODE tags) the output from
    Code:
    df -m
    Sorry, I think I might have given you some wrong information earlier, It won`t boot to command prompt unless I go to the Grub and select recovery mode.

    So I guess that`s actually a root shell prompt. I tried those commands at that prompt and they do nothing.

    I can select Clean that way, and it seems to run okay. But as soon as I hit resume normal boot, it acts the same way...Lubuntu screen, flicker, gone.

    I`m thinking maybe it`s a lost cause...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ozarks, Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    6,597
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Klunker; Hi !

    Let's not give up so easily !
    Try this to get to a terminal:
    Boot the Lubuntu install, as soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the right shift key -> grub's boot menu;
    With a "non-recovery" kernel highlighted depress the 'e' key for edit mode; -> boot parameters screen;
    arrow down and across to the terms "quiet splash" and replace them with the term "text" - with out the quotes;
    key combo ctl+x to continue the boot process -> to a text login (TTY1).
    Enter your user name and then your password - there is no response to the screen when the password is entered (security reasons).

    Now perform mrgs' directive.

    my little bit to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

    Happy ubutu'n !

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    37

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Klunker; Hi !

    Let's not give up so easily !
    Try this to get to a terminal:
    Boot the Lubuntu install, as soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the right shift key -> grub's boot menu;
    With a "non-recovery" kernel highlighted depress the 'e' key for edit mode; -> boot parameters screen;
    arrow down and across to the terms "quiet splash" and replace them with the term "text" - with out the quotes;
    key combo ctl+x to continue the boot process -> to a text login (TTY1).
    Enter your user name and then your password - there is no response to the screen when the password is entered (security reasons).

    Now perform mrgs' directive.
    my little bit to help
    Thanks so much for trying to help.

    I followed your suggestions and this is the resulting screen...



    Anything else I can try?

    Thanks for all the help!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ozarks, Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    6,597
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Klunker; Hey, Making progress !

    OK, The problem is identified as no disk space in the '/' directory.
    So, let's see what is using it all up.
    Do this:
    Code:
    cd /
    sudo du -sx * | sort -n
    cd ##returns your Present Working Directory to your /home directory##
    and post back the output of the "du" command.
    If you need to drill down further, use cd to move to a directory of interest then repeat the du command.
    The results are in megabytes,
    //
    df -m says "you are out of space", and du -sx tells you where your space hogs are .
    Then we can look at a means to remove files to get that space back.

    all in the process
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

    Happy ubutu'n !

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    37

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Klunker; Hey, Making progress !

    OK, The problem is identified as no disk space in the '/' directory.
    So, let's see what is using it all up.
    Do this:
    Code:
    cd /
    sudo du -sx * | sort -n
    cd ##returns your Present Working Directory to your /home directory##
    and post back the output of the "du" command.
    If you need to drill down further, use cd to move to a directory of interest then repeat the du command.
    The results are in megabytes,
    //
    df -m says "you are out of space", and du -sx tells you where your space hogs are .
    Then we can look at a means to remove files to get that space back.
    all in the process

    Sorry, but you`ve kind of lost me. Think I messed this up. I tried to follow your directions but ended up with this...



    Then the computer froze. Sorry, my fault, I`m sure. Not exactly sure how to get back to where I was...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ozarks, Arkansas, USA
    Beans
    6,597
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Lubuntu won`t load, not enough hard drive space

    Klunker; Hey,

    Rerun the commands as given, and give the 'du' command lots of time to complete. It takes a lot of time to look at every file on the system and sort them out.
    As to proc, ignore that output, proc is a virtual file system, constantly changing so can not get a handle on it. That is normal for that command.

    ain't no big deal
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

    Happy ubutu'n !

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •