Thread: x.265 in ffmpeg

Beans

Post x.265 in ffmpeg

Today I found out that x265 is already present in ffmpeg so I compiled ffmpeg with this guide

Sadly libx265 did not work on ubuntu, however on windows I tired the same thing with zeranoe ffmpeg build and it worked without a problem.

So do you think i did something wrong or it is not yet implemented in linux build (using that guide)

Thank you for your time

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: x.265 in ffmpeg

Try adding this PPA
    Shouldn't hurt what you have!
    No Warranty implied though!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    So do you think i did something wrong or it is not yet implemented in linux build (using that guide)
    This guide does not yet install x265. The libx265 wrapper in FFmpeg is new, and x265 is not very mature resulting in occasional API changes that can cause ffmpeg to fail during compilation (until the libx264 wrapper catches up), so I think adding x265 instructions now will cause more issues for users than it is worth.

If you want to try compiling it yourself then see this post. You will need yasm, mercurial, and cmake as build dependencies. Then add --enable-libx265 to your ffmpeg configure line.

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Try adding this PPA
    That PPA only offers older FFmpeg release branches and does not include libx265 support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Try adding this PPA
    That one is old and it breaks things. For up to date ffmpeg that doesn't mess up your system (it is install in /opt and you can switch between it and the system one with update-alternatives)
    https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa

Beans

For early experimentation you might be best to simply build x265 and run this from the commandline, rather than use FFmpeg or even vlc. BTW vlc was a little quicker off the mark than FFmpeg for h.265 encoding with x265 . Having said that vlc-git can be a bit hit and miss yet with this encoding....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?