Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to connect to wireless network after upgrading kernel (3.5.0-46) 12.04 64bits

Beans

Re: Unable to connect to wireless network after upgrading kernel (3.5.0-46) 12.04 64b

Good news Chili, you don't need to pack hammer and saw. I had to do some more research to find the solution, though...Here's what happened (in case is useful for someone else):

- Acording to sudo dpkg -s, the package was not installed. Tried to do it:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.8-`uname -r`
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-backports-modules-cw-3.8-3.5.0-46-generic
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-backports-modules-cw-3.8-3.5.0-46-generic'
    Hm! I checked Synaptic, and the packages were there, appearing as installed and up to date. Weird! Well, I looked for the latest version of the backports available on Synaptic (3.12) and installed them. Rebooted...still no wireless.

- So I went searching for every piece of info about backports and found this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2190930.html

The steps were:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-generic build-essential
    Downloaded the driver package from http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~...tml/backports/ , extracted it to Desktop and then went back to the Terminal:

Code:
    cd Desktop/backports-3.13.2-1
    make defconfig-ath9k
    make
    sudo make install
    Rebooted and finally! Wireless was back working fine. It feels as if I had to put backports and ath9k face to face and tell them "OK guys, YOU work together, get it?" (Sorry if my interpretation is not scientific at all )

Anyway, thank you so much for your guidance and help! I've learned a few things

(I'll mark this thread as "solved")

Beans

Re: Unable to connect to wireless network after upgrading kernel (3.5.0-46) 12.04 64b

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my Centrino Wireless-N 2230 on quantal after an updated (Network unclaimed problem).

when installing the backports-modules i get the following error:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/udev: 117: /etc/init.d/udev: /usr/lib/hal/hal-system-smbios: not found
    invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "restart" failed.
    dpkg: error processing udev (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing: udev
    do you have any clue what is the problem and how to fix it?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I suggest you obtain a temporary wired ethernet connection and open a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-cw-3.8-precise-generic 
    sudo modprobe ath9k
    Your wireless should be working.
    Last edited by agualdino; April 6th, 2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: format

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you have the Precise version?
    Code:
    lsb_release -d
    uname -r
    I suggest you try a reboot.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10
    3.5.0-48-generic

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Do you have the Precise version?
    Code:
    lsb_release -d
    uname -r
    I suggest you try a reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by agualdino View Post
    Ubuntu 12.10
    3.5.0-48-generic
    Ubuntu 12.10 is Quantal, not Precise. I suggest you follow the process described above:
    The steps were:
    Code:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-generic build-essential

Downloaded the driver package from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker....13.2-1.tar.xz (Edited from original post by chili555) , extracted it to Desktop and then went back to the Terminal:

Code:
    cd Desktop/backports-3.13.2-1
    make defconfig-ath9k
    make
    sudo make install
    Rebooted and finally! Wireless was back working fine. It feels as if I had to put backports and ath9k face to face and tell them "OK guys, YOU work together, get it?" (Sorry if my interpretation is not scientific at all )
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12