Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 on PowerEdge 1850 - No video output to monitor connected after boot?

Beans

Ubuntu 13.10 on PowerEdge 1850 - No video output to monitor connected after boot?

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Ubuntu or the Dell PowerEdge 1850 server that I installed it on, but I have a Dell 2009w monitor that I normally use with my main computer, and use xrdp to remotely access it from Windows 7's Remote Desktop Connection. However, for things that I can't use that for, I simply bring the monitor down and connect it via the rear VGA. However, if I turn it on without the monitor and use it (remotely of course), and then later bring the monitor down and hook it up, it not only gets no signal, but doesn't even detect the cable. The cable is definitely not a problem, because all goes well if I turn it on while the monitor is already hooked up.

Again, I'm not sure if it's the server or Ubuntu, but does anyone here know how I can fix this?

Also, this might be a related issue: when the resolution changes while it's hooked up to the front panel VGA (which appears to be connected to the rest of the system by IDE, if that matters), it will lose the signal entirely, but the rear panel works fine. Does anyone also know why this is and how I can fix it?
    Last edited by Roadsguy; February 23rd, 2014 at 03:06 AM.