Thread: SSH to Ubuntu VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

SSH to Ubuntu VM

Hi all:

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out why I am unable to SSH from my Windows host to my Ubuntu virtual machine.
    On the host I am able to successfully SSH into another server on the network. In my Ubuntu virtual machine I can access the web and ping google.com.
    But, when I try to ssh form the Windows host to the VM I get "access denied". On the Ubuntu vm I can also SSH to localhost, but just not to the outside world.

I should also mention I am using a "bridged adapter" in the VM settings for Ubuntu. This seemed to be the easiest way to go as it gave out an ip address to the Ubuntu machine I could use to ssh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit:adding details
    Host: Windows 7
    Guest: Ubuntu 12.04
    Last edited by cjnkns; February 18th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

Re: SSH to Ubuntu VM

Can you ping the VM from outside?

Do you have any sort of firewalling rules on either the guest or the host?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for responding.

I am able to ping the vm using the ip address, but not the host name. Windows (host machine) firewall is turned off; the ufw status on Ubuntu (vm) is showing inactive.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for responding.

I am able to ping the vm using the ip address, but not the host name. Windows (host machine) firewall is turned off; the ufw status on Ubuntu (vm) is showing inactive.

Beans

So what happens if you use ssh with the IP address as the target? Sounds like the problem is one of name resolution, not connectivity.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Well, I have to admit I completely dropped the ball on this one. I guess, when logging in via ssh it helps to use the correct user name. ugh.
    It was just user error. My user name for my work machine is one that I guess I was used to. So, when trying to ssh into Ubuntu I was using that instead of the one created by Ubuntu.

Thanks for taking time to try and help though. I appreciate it.