Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many forums?

Beans

Re: Too many forums?

I would have to disagree. If we meshed everything into one huge forum we would still have the same problems. What it boils down to is, people don't read and don't post in the correct sections hence unanswered threads, people don't search to see if there has already been a solution to their problem hence duplicate and unanswered threads.

The reason Hoary and Warty sections are seperated is so we as moderators and visting end users can help others in a timely fashion. If we meshed Warty and Hoary questions into one huge forum can you imagine the chaos? I can.

As far as traffic, this forum generates almost 4 to 5 gigabyte of transfer daily, 300-400 users are online at almost all times and almost 13,000 users with around 2,000 unique forum members visiting daily.

It all goes back to the first things I mentioned. Read and Search.

We will not remove or merge any forums at this time as the current layout works and flows well.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie
    Quote Originally Posted by CowPie
    I posted a desparate cry for help in repository support, but no replies...
    There really needs to be a visible link in the top bar for 'No Replies'. Perhaps right next to the 'New Posts' link that is already present and very useful.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek
    It all goes back to the first things I mentioned. Read and Search.
    Totally agree with this point. However, using this LINK I was able to pull up at least 500 threads that were started between today and 3/17 and have no replies. Taking into account the known issues that can result in many of these, that number is still just way too high considering the level of knowledge that is present at this forum.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lightbulb Re: Too many forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberkef
    I'm not sure about this, but I think there's no special flag to enable that
    I found a couple of threads on modifications to the vBulletin software. This one gives you more options for selecting what gets syndicated. This would be great for people like me who prefer to have forum activity from many different sources gathered in one place. It also makes it standards compliant (apparently the default one isn't.):

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69834

And this modification allows browsers like Firefox to detect that the page contains an RSS feed and automatically displays a button to install it. A lot of news sites do this (the BBC have this feature, for example):

http://www.vbulletintemplates.com/mo...ead.php?t=6996

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Xian
    There really needs to be a visible link in the top bar for 'No Replies'. Perhaps right next to the 'New Posts' link that is already present and very useful.
    Good suggestion. Looks like somebody just added that feature. =D>

Beans

Still tweaking as some of these forums will have 0 replies and that is ok. Everyone has to understand just because there are unanswered threads it isnt a bad thing. Some threads don't warrant a reply.

Not to be a grump, but instead of this thread going on about unanwered threads why don't we all just pitch in a help some of these users
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek
    Not to be a grump, but instead of this thread going on about unanwered threads why don't we all just pitch in a help some of these users
    Good show on putting up the link to 'Unanswered Threads'. The easier we make it for people to find these, the better the chance that some of them might get resolved, or at least addressed positively. In a forum of this size it is important to have an outlet to find threads that need attention before they get buried. Hopefully an increased number of members will give this issue some degree of increased attention.
    /path/to/Truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I agree with you. I think there are too many forums. Even I don't go through each of them

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by defkewl
    I agree with you. I think there are too many forums. Even I don't go through each of them
    What we've done is simply separated Hoary questions from Warty questions because otherwise whichever version is the "Current" version will bury the other questions - and because the answers can and usually are different for the same question.

You don't have to go through each of them - you just find the one you want to help in or the one you want to ask a question in.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast