Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Amazon Instant Video work all the sudden in 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why does Amazon Instant Video work all the sudden in 14.04

Not complaining, I just need educated.

I first installed xubuntu 14.04, Amazon Instant Video didn't work. I used my Mac for that. All the sudden, I install playonlinux and ever since, it's been working like a charm. What changed? What package did playonlinux/wine install to enable this to work.

No buffering, no crashing.. Working like a dream in Google Chrome as evidenced by the pic below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Why does Amazon Instant Video work all the sudden in 14.04

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1.

Beans

Amazon video doesn't work with Linux flash (including Chrome's pepper flash) because of drm. For it to work you need to install hal. https://launchpad.net/~mjblenner/+archive/ppa-hal

Alternatively install Windows' flash with pipelight http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html
    (and setup a switch mechanism between native flash by installing galternative, open it, go to Mozilla flash something and add piplight flash's path to it and choose whichever one you want. Native flash is usually smoother when it works as wine has its limitations, Need to restart FF every time you make a switch)

The first solution works with system flash (11.2) on Firefox (and all browsers that use Mozilla plugins) but not Chrome's pepper flash. The second solution works for both at the moment but will not work for Chromium based browsers (Chrome/Chromium) after April when google bans all NNAPI plugins. So I would stick to Firefox for this.

Edited: You may also need a user-agent-overrider addon to disguise your browser as Windows Firefox for some streaming sites. Though I heard it is not necessary for amazon video, I don't use it so I have no idea, I mention this just in case you may need it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 17th, 2014 at 11:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I understand that.. I was well aware that HAL was not in the 14.04 repo's anymore. However, I am using Pepper flash ON CHROME build 32. something something.. I am very very confused by the fact that it is working. I didn't do anything with regard to the hack required to make it work.. Nothing at all.

I didn't install HAL or HAL-INFO nor did I upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04. This is a fresh clean ISO image from Sunday. I only installed wine/playonlinux. So, why does it work?

I must've done something..

Beans

Sorry, misunderstood your post.

Can you go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...tent-play.html and scroll to the bottom to do test and see if it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I appreciate the link. I'm still confused though. I have been to all my video accounts and I can play them all all of the sudden. ALL OF THEM. I went to the website mentioned and followed the instructions, I honestly didn't get anything, I 'll upload screenshots of what I did see. AZ video running and the Adobe link

Amazon is a HUGE one for me, considering I have much in my library.

If you all don't believe me, I have proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by estamets View Post
    I understand that.. I was well aware that HAL was not in the 14.04 repo's anymore. However, I am using Pepper flash ON CHROME build 32. something something.. I am very very confused by the fact that it is working. I didn't do anything with regard to the hack required to make it work.. Nothing at all.
    It could be that the latest version of pepper flash doesn't require hal to be present anymore. Would be possible to test it in Firefox?

Beans

Maybe Amazon has changed something? I doubt that it has anything to do with Chrome or Pepper flash because drm is still disabled, otherwise you would have seen a running train in Adobe's test (see screenshot) I am able to play this only with pipelight flash, it doesn't work with pepper flash. I used to be able to play it with flash 11.2 + hal on Firefox but it has apparently stopped working (perhaps I am booting off a different machine, not sure why) I am on 13.10 BTW. Don't think anything has changed re flash or amazon video in 14.04 that is specific to 14.04. You may check whether your video accounts work in 12.04 or 13.10 if you still have those in different partitions.

Maybe someone can test Adobe's site with hal and see if it works.

(aside: pepper flash never worked with hal so testing hal has to be done on Firefox or Chrome with pepper flash disabled)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 18th, 2014 at 04:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can watch my amazon prime with 12.04 and firefox or chrome.
    It works well, you should support the effort, become a member. Hopefully Netflix will quickly move on HTML5

Playing with an nvidia gefore 8400 gs 256mb works full screened with the nvidia driver.
    Old nvidia cards work, not so old AMD cards, wont for me.
    Regarding Linux and AMD, I hate it, windows and AMD are great. Nvidia has always been just fine, but people rag on them, but they just work for what I want to do in Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

plays fine in firefox with 11.2 version, always post link, I had to figure yours from a screen shot.
    http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/SVP/S...layer_FP.html#
    play file link
    http://drmtest2.adobe.com:8080/Content/anonymous.f4v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast