Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cp and mv command - nuanced instructions

Beans

cp and mv command - nuanced instructions

Hello and thank you for reading this.

I have consulted several resources about the cp command, such as: http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ucp.htm. I still can't find my answer.

What I would like to do is to move files from one folder to another, replacing the existing contents ONLY IF the time signatures are identical. Otherwise I would like to move the file but to keep both copies (name.file and name.file(2) ..or something equivalent). Any suggestions for how I might accomplish this?

Thanks again!

Beans

Re: cp and mv command - nuanced instructions

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.kyle View Post

I have consulted several resources about the cp command, such as: http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ucp.htm. I still can't find my answer.

What I would like to do is to move files from one folder to another, replacing the existing contents ONLY IF the time signatures are identical. Otherwise I would like to move the file but to keep both copies (name.file and name.file(2) ..or something equivalent). Any suggestions for how I might accomplish this?

Thanks again!
    So just to clarify, you want to overwrite the files with the same time signature but keep both copies if they are not identically timed? I know you can do the later, im not sure about the first. I will check on this now and get back to you shortly. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something thought!

~Zeus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.kyle View Post

Thanks again!
    From what I could try/find/etc the best method, which I'm sure isn't the best since I'm still learning myself, would be to navigate to the directory you want and do ls -l to view a long version list of the contents.
    Then run:
    cp -a -i -u directoryOfFilesToMove/* directoryFilesAreMovedTo

example: if i wanted to move all files from StupidTest to StupidTestDir I would use:

cp -a -i -u StupidTest/* StupidTestDir

This copies all file attributes (incl ownerships and permissions) to the new directory (-a archive), prompts for overwrites if there are files with the same name (-i interactive), and copies only the files that either don't exist or are newer than the existing files in the destination directory (-u update).
    Using -u kind of defeats the purpose of using -i or even viewing the contents of the directory; however, if you wanted to manually check against the update you could (kind of unnecessary though).

To answer the question regarding overwriting files if the timestamps match: I added the -i in there that way you can control the files you didn't want to overwrite, which is also why i suggested using ls -l from within the directories you are transferring files to and from to see their time stamps. Thought I'm sure another user more adept in shell-foo will have a more streamlined approach.

Please let me know if this answers your question or if I further confused things. Hopefully it helped.

~Zeus

**edit: added the example I intended to use the first time I posted
    **edit#2: added what I actually edited (sorry still kind of new to helping others)
    ***edit#3: added the "answer" to his question
    Last edited by fromite; February 17th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If by time signatures mean the time it was created, then these two scripts will work.

This can be done via the test/[ command to determine whether or not to replace the file. (The command can be called 'test' or '[' <--that's a bracket)

Open the text editor and put in the following (if you want a text interface):

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    # Uses the cp and mv commands

#clear # Clear the console window (disabled)
    echo "" 1>&2 # Blank line (echoed to stderr)
    echo -n "Where is the original file located? " # Text saying "Where is the original file located? "
    read TPOTOF # Read from stdin where the path of the original file is, and save the path to '$TPOTOF'
    echo "" # Blank line
    echo -n "Where is the newdirectory located? " # Text saying "Where is the original file located? "
    read TPOTNF # Read from stdin where the path of the original file is, and save the path to '$TPOTOF'
    if [ -z $TPOTNF ] || [ -z $TPOTOF ] # If one of the values are [null], then
    then
        echo "E:One or more of the values you have entered are empty" # State the error
        exit 1 # Exit with error code 1
    elif [ ! -f $TPOTOF ] || [ ! -d $TPOTNF ] #Or if one of the files do not exist, then
    then
        echo "E:One or more of the files you specified do not exist." # State the error
        exit 2 # Exit with error code 2
    fi
    TPOTNF="$TPOTNF/$TPOTOF"
    if [ -f $TPOTNF ]
    then
        if test $TPOTOF -nt $TPOTNF || test $TPOTOF -ot $TPOTNF
        then
            echo "Time stamps are different. Will not overwrite file."
            cp $TPOTOF `echo "new-"$TPOTNF`
        else
            echo -n "W: Time stamps are the same. Are you sure you want to overwrite? This can not be undone. [y/N]: "
            read YesNo
            case $YesNo in
                y|Y|yes|Yes|yEs|yeS|YEs|YeS|yES|YES)
                    echo "Ok. Doing as you wished."; sleep 1
                    rm -rf $TPOTNF ;
                    cp $TPOTOF $TPOTNF ;
                    echo 'Done!'
                    ;;
                n|N|no|No|nO|NO|*)
                    echo "Ok. Will not replace file.";
                    ;;
            esac
        fi
    else
        echo "The file does not exist in the remote directory, so it will just be copied."
        cp $TPOTOF $TPOTNF
    fi
    echo "Will now exit" ; sleep 3
    exit 0
    Or for a graphical interface:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    # Uses the cp and mv commands

#clear # Clear the console window (disabled)
    TPOTOF=`zenity --entry --title="Made with zenity" --text="Where is the original file located? "`
    TPOTNF=`zenity --entry --title="Made with zenity" --text="Where is the newdirectory located? "`
    if [ -z $TPOTNF ] || [ -z $TPOTOF ]
    then
        zenity --error --title="Error | Made with zenity" --text="E:One or more of the values you have entered are empty" --no-wrap
        exit 1
    elif [ ! -f $TPOTOF ] || [ ! -d $TPOTNF ] #Or if one of the files do not exist, then
    then
        zenity --error --title="Error | Made with zenity" --text="E:One or more of the files you specified do not exist." --no-wrap
        exit 2
    fi
    TPOTNF="$TPOTNF/$TPOTOF"
    if [ -f $TPOTNF ]
    then
        if test $TPOTOF -nt $TPOTNF || test $TPOTOF -ot $TPOTNF
        then
            zenity --info --title="Made with zenity" --text="Time stamps are different. Will not overwrite file."
            cp $TPOTOF `echo "new-"$TPOTNF`
        else
            zenity --question --title="Warning | Made with zenity" "W: Time stamps are the same. Are you sure you want to overwrite? This can not be undone."
            if [ $? != 0 ]
            then
                zenity --info --title="Made with zenity" --text="Ok. Doing as you wished."; sleep 1
                rm -rf $TPOTNF ;
                cp $TPOTOF $TPOTNF ;
                zenity --info --title="Mission Complete\! | Made with zenity" --text='Done!'
            else
                zenity --info --title="Made with zenity" --text="Ok. Will not replace file.";
            fi
        fi
    else
        zenity --info --title="Made with zenity" --text="The file does not exist in the remote directory, so it will just be copied."
        cp $TPOTOF $TPOTNF
    fi
    echo "Will now exit" ; sleep 3
    exit 0
    Then make the saved file executable, and execute the script.

Hope it's of help.
    Avatar credit: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/d...-spread-ubuntu
    Note: I shall not respond to any PMs/threads for the rest of this 2014, as I will be very busy. Sorry for any inconvenience

Beans

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is script-foo. Definitely made me appear as the noob I am

Well done!

P.s. What languange is that? Seems like a short-hand version of C with nix commands thrown in

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fromite View Post
    What languange is that? Seems like a short-hand version of C with nix commands thrown in
    It's using the BASH shell (Bourne Again SHell)
    Avatar credit: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/d...-spread-ubuntu
    Note: I shall not respond to any PMs/threads for the rest of this 2014, as I will be very busy. Sorry for any inconvenience

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise View Post
    It's using the BASH shell (Bourne Again SHell)
    Know of any good educational references?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fromite View Post
    Know of any good educational references?
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...n1/bash.1.html
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi, A very good tutorial for Shell Scripts. http://linuxcommand.org/writing_shell_scripts.php

Scripting is the power of Linux!!!!!!!

Good Luck.
    Code:
    Doing what you should is Freedom :)
    But Liking what you do is Happiness!!!!

Beans

Thanks guys, perciate it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast