Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need updates to Xiphos - they haven't hit the repos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I need updates to Xiphos - they haven't hit the repos

I'm running Ubuntu Saucy, and using Xiphos (installed from the repos). I'm experiencing the module manager column crush bug, which is crippling because it prevents the installation of modules. According to the Xiphos release notes page http://xiphos.org/development/release-notes/, the latest release (a month old) addresses this problem (which comes from the gtk-3 issues). However, this release hasn't hit the repos, and I can't seem to find a source for it.

Any help would be appreciated...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Re: I need updates to Xiphos - they haven't hit the repos

You could ask the question of the package maintainers via launchpad, or download the source from the xiphos website and compile (with all the usual caveats of installing software outside of the main repositories).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you looked at the downloads page of the xiphos site?

They have links to 'Sourceforge'. This one works.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnom.../files/Xiphos/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Of course, I should have thought of compiling from source. I guess I'm just so used to searching for pre-compiled PPAs.

I'm curious, if I compile from source, will the package update automatically in the future when further updates become available through the repos? (Realistically, this probably won't matter in this case, since I'm planning to do a fresh install when Trusty comes out, anyways. I doubt another update will hit the repos before then.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hmmm... so I thought compiling would be simple. I attempted following the instructions in the INSTALL file, and hit a snag. I probably look like an idiot, but is there some other dependency I need to install?

Code:
    $ sudo ./waf configure build installLinux detected 
    Check for program g++ or c++             : /usr/bin/g++ 
    Check for program cpp                    : /usr/bin/cpp 
    Check for program ar                     : /usr/bin/ar 
    Check for program ranlib                 : /usr/bin/ranlib 
    Check for program gcc or cc              : /usr/bin/gcc 
    Check for program msgfmt                 : /usr/bin/msgfmt 
    Check for program intltool-merge         : /usr/bin/intltool-merge 
    Checking for header locale.h             : ok 
    Check for program glib-genmarshal        : not found 
    Check for program glib-mkenums           : not found 
    Check for program dbus-binding-tool      : not found 
    Check for program docbook2man            : not found 
    Check for program xml2po                 : not found 
    Check for program xsltproc               : not found 
    Auto detecting gtk 3                     : fail 
    Auto detecting gtk 2                     : Package libgtkhtml-3.14 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgtkhtml-3.14.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'libgtkhtml-3.14' found 
    /home/aaron/temp/xiphos-3.1.6/wscript:233: error: the configuration failed (see '/home/aaron/temp/xiphos-3.1.6/build/config.log')
    for the record, libgtkhtml-3.14 isn't installed on my system, but libgtkhtml-4.0-0 is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu Saucy, and using Xiphos (installed from the repos). I'm experiencing the module manager column crush bug, which is crippling because it prevents the installation of modules. According to the Xiphos release notes page http://xiphos.org/development/release-notes/, the latest release (a month old) addresses this problem (which comes from the gtk-3 issues). However, this release hasn't hit the repos, and I can't seem to find a source for it.

Any help would be appreciated...
    whoever is building these packages
    they havent updated it in a long time - the build dependencies dont even work anymore.

I can build one for lucid, but I have no idea whether it will work or not.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    whoever is building these packages
    they havent updated it in a long time - the build dependencies dont even work anymore.

I can build one for lucid, but I have no idea whether it will work or not.
    I'm not sure what you mean. The release I'm trying to compile was just issued 35 days ago. Perhaps the dependency issues stem from the fact that they've reverted this release to gtk2 as a temporary fix to problems caused by switching to gtk3. (As it turns out, those are the very problems driving my desire to upgrade.) http://xiphos.org/development/release-notes/, just in case the link in my initial post wasn't tempting enough...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm not sure what you mean. The release I'm trying to compile was just issued 35 days ago. Perhaps the dependency issues stem from the fact that they've reverted this release to gtk2 as a temporary fix to problems caused by switching to gtk3. (As it turns out, those are the very problems driving my desire to upgrade.) http://xiphos.org/development/release-notes/, just in case the link in my initial post wasn't tempting enough...
    no - the build dependencies in the original package (which would be used if you were doing a backport + update) are out of date
    Was going to go rebuild the debian package to provide an updated version and discovered that the dependencies in the original xiphos debian source package are outdated - some of those packages havent existed since lucid D:

As a result, it is unlikely that someone will update it in the repos - until someone decides to fix the dependencies in the debian source package
    Last edited by sandyd; February 18th, 2014 at 05:18 PM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would love to contact the developers and request that they update their dependencies. However, I don't even know how to determine what dependencies are out-of-date.
    Last edited by newb85; February 18th, 2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: autocorrect got it wrong...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I would Live to contact the developers and request that they update their dependencies. However, I don't even know how to determine what dependencies are out-of-date.
    I can give you a list when I get back home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast