Thread: Can I play Windows Steam games using Wine?

Beans

Can I play Windows Steam games using Wine?

Well I really want to play 8BitMMO, and I press play on Steam but it doesn't open (I guess Steam doesn't support WINE). Any other way of doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can I play Windows Steam games using Wine?

It does support Wine.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Wine. Also, make sure you install Steam using winetricks (search for "winetricks" in the dash).

It seems that 8BitMMO is a Java game so you might need to install the windows version of Java in wine (check if it is available to install in winetricks first).
    Last edited by kostkon; February 17th, 2014 at 06:33 AM.

Beans

Bearing in mind that there are 2 versions of Steam you could be referring to.. The Linux version and the Windows version.. Windows version of Steam runs perfectly fine using wine. If you install Playonlinux from the software centre and install it that way.. Change the version of Wine to the latest one or it won't let you log in.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i have wine installed and trying to get steam running within wine so I can play some windows titles BUT the signin dialog box for steam won't let me type in the box, very weird. How do I solve this? I have version wine 1:1.7.13-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.10.1 according to Ubuntu Software Center. I did not install Playonlinux because i didn't want to add another app to the mix, shouldn't i be able to just use wine and run steam in it? I do have winetricks but not sure what to do with it
    Last edited by dannyboy79; February 25th, 2014 at 04:47 AM.